fixing pdf in Pitstop

Elena

Hi there,

I am looking for some help with fixing my client's pdf, I need to create bleed. It's never been a problem for me before (I am using Pitstop). Normally I extend Media and Bleed boxes from Position Tab and correct page objects to fill bleed area.
This time I got few files with a sort of clipping path or mask on top of everything which is exactly page trim size. I still able to select objects underneath and spread them, but bleed area remains covered. When I have this clipping path selected it's appears in yellow colour - Pitstop colour coding says it's "selected form object".
Can't do anything with this path - release, send it to back or whatever. If I delete the path I am loosing about half of page objects.
It's a pdf from Quark, I actually have about thirty something files, they are sections from the same book, came from the same client, but only few of them have this problem.

I don't want to fix it Illustrator, too much work, each section is 50-60 pages.

And there is no way for me to have native files, or ask a designer to re-save it with bleed area included. Those pdfs are all I got.

I am looking for help to fix it in Pitstop.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Here's how I handle it (I'm using PitStop 09 on Acrobat 9 Pro):

Go to the Action List panel>Standard>Page Boxes and Printer Marks and choose Make Place for Printer Marks. (This only works if there is only a Media Box defined, so before you run the action make sure you are only defining the Media Box.)

If you want crop marks, run the Add Crop Marks action in the same location.

Now bring up the Global Change Panel and go to Standard>Page>Extend Bleed. Run this and it will extend objects that are close to the edge.

See attached screenshots.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 8.17.24 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 8.17.24 AM.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 238
  • Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 8.17.49 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-11-11 at 8.17.49 AM.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 236
Easy fix if you can get away with it is to enlarge the all the pages 1 or 2%. Tell client thats the only way to fix it.

Thank you guys for the quick replies.

Dan - I probably didn't explain it clear, it's not about space for bleed. The file actually has bleed, but it's hidden because it wasn't exported properly to pdf. I can reveal it easily by defining Media and Bleed Boxes, I only need to spread a couple images. I am able to that with Scale selection tool, and I can see the image enlarging, but the bleed area around it is still white. I think it's happening because of that path on top which Ptistop recognizes as a "selected form object".

Would it be easy if I email that file?

Almaink - about enlarging, the half of job is already done in a nice and clean way, if I enlarge the trouble ones, they will look different. Of course if there is no another solution I will redo the whole job. Thanks for the tip.

Dan - I probably didn't explain it clear, it's not about space for bleed. The file actually has bleed, but it's hidden because it wasn't exported properly to pdf. I can reveal it easily by defining Media and Bleed Boxes, I only need to spread a couple images. I am able to that with Scale selection tool, and I can see the image enlarging, but the bleed area around it is still white. I think it's happening because of that path on top which Ptistop recognizes as a "selected form object".

I understand. I was thinking that by going through my steps it might eliminate the problem. Feel free to email me a file (just one page, please, to cut down on file size!) I'll PM you my email address. Can't promise that I'll get to it right away, but I'll give it a go as soon as I can.

I understand. I was thinking that by going through my steps it might eliminate the problem. Feel free to email me a file (just one page, please, to cut down on file size!) I'll PM you my email address. Can't promise that I'll get to it right away, but I'll give it a go as soon as I can.
Sorry, I am new to this site, not sure how I will get your email. I tried to send the file as an attachment, it's failed, size is 209 kb.
Should I make changes to my account to be able to send/receive emails?

Thank you,

Go to User CP toward the top of this page, just under the PrintPlanet logo. Then, look at the vertical menu on the left and you'll see Private Messages. Click on the little triangle next to Private Messages and choose Inbox. There you will see a Private Message (PM) from me.

Then just send me an email however you normally send emails. The address is in the Private Message.

edit - Just noticed that you can click on Quick Links and scroll down to Private Messages as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan!

If anyone wants to know how the problem was solved:

Global Change Panel / Standard>Page>Extend Bleed with settings -
.03" (distance to the trim box) and .125" (Bleed beyond the trim box.)

Thank you!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back