Flexo Benchmarks

jlind

For business efficiency reasons, I asked a local vendor the following questions and got the indicated replies. I would be interested in some "agree/disagree" discussion, and maybe fill in some blanks where benchmark numbers were difficult. Here goes...

Average set up time per color: 30 minutes
Average waste: 10-30% (ouch)
Average run speed: depends if sheeted, laminated, or roll to roll, but around 70 fpm
Wash up times: 20 minutes/color if aqueous, 2 or 3 times this if solvent based or UV

How typical are these numbers, my fellow printers and vendors?

John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

I suppose more info would be required to give better results but these do seem a little on the high side except the run speed, that seems a little low. We run some jobs two color, buttcut, diecut, lammed, stripped and sheeted or rewound at up to 200 ft/min.

I guess it all depends on how good of an operator you have. We run Mark Andy 830 and 2200's in our shop but most of our pressman lack a strong work ethic to reach those numbers on a consitant basis. I guess your numbers are pretty close to reality but to letting spoilage go as high as 30% "on average".... I would start handing out pink slips and try training some homeless guys on the equipment. Labor costs would "average" out those 30% pressman real fast!

BMS

average make ready at my place less than 5 minutes per station
waste less than 10%
clean-up per station less than 5 minutes with UV inks
run speeds vary depending on job no less than 125fpm no more than 400fpm

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back