Floor space required for 4, 6 and 8 color presses?

ScotJ

Just wondering how long your presses are? I'm looking at a building and trying to gauge how big of a press I could fit in there. The space is 45-50ft long, with ample depth. Could I fit a 6 color in there with a coater? (40")

Thanks in advance!

I will post again tomorrow with some info on an SM74 4 color. But for now I'll say that if you are looking at buildings for a shop you should buy yourself a 100 foot tape to have with you when you inspect them, and then ask questions here (or anywhere else) with real numbers instead of guesses like "45-50 ft long".

Al

We found out when we installed our 4 color that its not so much if you have room for the press . . .. which is important . . . but make sure you have room for the pallets of paper going in and going out of the monster - I would allow at least twice square footage as the press . . .
We also had to have our floor cut out and about a 3 foot deep slab poured to support it - (thanks gordo)

Will your press have a coater on it and an extended delivery? Also if it has continuous feeder and delivery this will all add length to your press footprint. Will your press be a 'raised' press to accommodate higher loads, this will add height.

Maybe go on the press manufacturers website and get the proper dimensions of the press you plan to install, what ever space you have you will fill it! 40" press is a big beast you will need loads of room for pallets of work aswell

Quite apart from the space this monster is going to need, special foundations are required to prevent the components from moving. Just a 1/4" twist between each module is enough to damage the press. Been there done that and don't intend to do it again. If you seriously intend to build a business around a press like this, you need to own the premises and it needs to be four times the size of the installed press... PLUS all the folding, cutting and slitting that goes on post print.

There’s a couple of different ways you can look at press area:

The actual size of the press- length, width etc.

Or, the working area of the press- space for pallets, paper staging etc.

You have to remember the console and the peripherals. Sometimes the Air and Dryer cabinets are as large as the press!

Knowing this a basic NON UV SM102 6 color with coater extended delivery:

54 feet long, 11 feet wide

Working area:

66 feet in length, 21 feet wide, approximately 1414 square feet total- includes peripheral cabinets.

In our shop, the working area for our 8 color 102 with S module, no coater:

63 feet in length, 21 feet wide, about 1355 square feet, includes cabinets, cp2000 console etc.

So you end up needing 8-10 feet of room around the press for working area.

Working area is subjective; I’ve seen plenty of shops that have the presses right next to each other.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited:
And don't forget how heavy the press is!

Gordo

Gordo is right, plan on having a foundation pad poured for the press. The weight of an 8 color sm102 according to Heidelberg is over 114,000 lbs including the two plies giving us a static floor load of around 207 pounds per square foot. XL's are a lot heavier!

Mike

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back