Folded edge cracking

jpfulton248

No creaser, no scorer. Cracking spines. Our shop does 95% the exact same specs for every job we do. 65lb 12x18 uncoated grain short. We produce booklets so that means a 12x18 gets cut down to make 2 booklets. This means the fold goes against the grain.

We purchased Accent Opaque for years and didn't have nearly as much of a problem. They were always passable. When Veritiv got rid of their express stores we switch to an alternative paper supplier. Closest they had to what we previously got is this Lynx stuff. Still uncoated but has a smoother surface. Pretty sure that is what is causing the problem.

Can't really afford equipment and definitely can't afford the time and service calls on it. Run lengths tend to be in the 300-2000. Anybody know if it's possible to buy 12x18 grain long? Any ideas? Oh and to rule cutting down from full sheets, our cutter is 20". Thanks!

I haven't come across a grain long 12 x 18 65# sheet available pre-cut to size. Does your paper merchant/supplier offer cutting? If so, maybe you could buy 25 x 38 and have them cut it down for you.

I haven't come across a grain long 12 x 18 65# sheet available pre-cut to size. Does your paper merchant/supplier offer cutting? If so, maybe you could buy 25 x 38 and have them cut it down for you.
The story I heard from my press operator is that our paper supplier stopped offering cutting a long time ago. We've recently started ordering from another supplier as well but, besides specialty papers, I'm not really familiar with any other companies. I'm in Metro Detroit.

Winter months have low relative humidity (RH).
Maybe this is a temporary or seasonal problem?
Fuser heat on laser printer also dries out paper.
Do you have "spray misters" to add humidity to air?
What is the RH in you print shop?

I run Lynx cover all the time, have for years. That paper needs to be creased for a good fold. Lynx is a great paper, but it is a more 'rigid' paper - it doesn't take well to folding without a crease, even down to 80lb. text sometimes. I agree that it's probably nigh-impossible to find a grain long cover sheet. Accent and Lynx seem to run just about equal in caliper. Finch Opaque Digital cover runs a tad thinner than the Lynx or Accent, this might work to your benefit. Finch prints well, and typically prices out lower than Lynx in my area.

@SteveSuffRIT I agree with this. Winter months are always a little worse for paper cracking, especially if your shop is not humidity controlled. And if @jpfulton248 is running digital prints (I'm assuming this is the case), that extra heat absolutely dries the paper out.

I run a full digital shop, and when I started we were creasing digital prints with a traditional steel rotary scorer with the 'V'-shape blade. I found this didn't do much at all to help with cracking. I ended up buying one of those tri-creaser assemblies with the colored ribs - it made a HUGE difference. We use that, and I also have a Graphic Whizard slitter/cutter/creaser; which works fantastic as well. When it comes down to it - digital prints need a 'C' shaped crease to stretch the fibers...not break/crack them, as will happen with a 'V' shaped creasing tool.

Contact a trade printer or trade binder in your area and ask what they would charge to cut a batch of parent sheets of your preferred stock to 12x18, grain long. Just as a gaugepoint for you: I work for a union trade shop and we would want about $40 to cut a carton of 650 sheets of 65# (176gsm) 25x38 to 12x18, 4 sides trimmed.

If you are not fortunate enough to have a trade shop in your area, probably there's another print shop that would do it for you and have some mercy on you about the pricing.

Last edited:
What about using something like an 8pt C1S sheet. For whatever reason we seem to get away without creasing it in 90% of our jobs. Something about the coating on just one side.

Would a hand operated scoring machine be feasible? Low cost and if you just need it during winter it wouldn’t take up much space sitting all summer.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back