font corruption when reducing PDF file size

maas

Afternoon

We have had an instance where words and letters have turned into odd characters and glyphs, the contention is that this has occurred when flattening/ reducing the file size of a PDF in Acrobat to Acrobat 4 compatibility, i have never seen this and appreciate all suggestions, as an aside the wireframe in Pitstop shows a lot of redundant postscript data

regards
Maas

I susspect you have 2 instances of the same font both subsetted. It can't happen according to enfocus but saw it when Acrobat 4 was the current version of acrobat. Choosing not to embed fonts was the solution at the time. (Could also happen with CID fonts before version 6 of acrobat.) Sometimes substituting from subset font to full font (could be done with pitstop that installed in Acrobat 4 until they had to drop that function due to legal issues of font embedding).

You may (even though there is no absolute) solve it by exporting the original PDF and "refrying" using distiller.

It is also likely that you're using a TrueType font you downloaded from the Internet and when you output the font, certain characters/glyphs change. Check the font file by clicking on it and hitting command-I for Get Info. If it is TrueType then replace it with a OpenType font from a reliable font site.

Look at this resource for more info:

Amazon.com: Exploring Digital PrePress: The Art and Technology of Preparing Electronic Files for Printing (Design Exploration Series) (9781418012366): Reid Anderson: Books

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back