Font Explorer X Reflow Problems

oxburger

Here's one for you. This has happened with both the free version of Font Explorer X 1.2.3 and the trial version of Font Explorer X Pro version 2.5.2. Running on a Mac with OS 10.6.6. Type flows differently depending on whether you activate the font set before you open the file vs. opening the file and THEN activating the fonts.

Font is ITC Franklin Gothic Demi Compressed and it does have a tracking value of 60 applied in the character palette.

InDesign CS 5 version 7.0.3

It's a puzzler.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 185
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 211
It's getting to the point where I don't even use font management software with InDesign files, I just toss a copy of the client's fonts into the Applications/InDesign/Fonts folder and launch the app. Works with PC and MAC fonts. You might try it instead of using Explorer.

Strange, and worrying. I assume the undesired situation occurs when you activate afterwards. Am in the habit of activating customer fonts before opening Indy file.

I copy my fonts in to Library>Fonts and delete them when I'm done. I hate font management software.

@Oxburger: you did see the whole word moved, didn't you so it's not the tracking within the word...possibly the space before the word? Just so you are looking for the right thing. If I find there are fonts that need activating I'll always close the file and reopen it‚ guess it is a habit. (I don't use auto activation)
One thing i found with the indesign document fonts was a bug with false small caps not being cap…*but removing the font from document font fixed the issue (how i stumbled across it was that every time i opened a packaged file the small caps was just lower case) I admit i haven't tested to see if the bug was fixed since.

If I find there are fonts that need activating I'll always close the file and reopen it‚ guess it is a habit. (I don't use auto activation)

A good point to remember. And likewise...never use Auto-Activation. An extra minute spent is well worth it.

We don't use auto activation either. Regardless of that, in an ideal world, it should be irrelevant of when the fonts are activated. They should work the same way, in all instances. Call me a dreamer if you want, but I want consistency. LOL.

:) ye what kind of fonts were they OTF? Some how it seems that there is perhaps an undefined character that has inconsistent width …*you did see my note about all the characters in the dumps have been shifted.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back