Font Issues With ECRM RIP

Newsads

We have recently converted to CTP in our production department.
Our RIP software is ECRM RIPmate, Harlequin RIP 8.0 revision 8.
We import pdf's into a Quark 8.02 template and then print to the RIP. We are having issues with some fonts getting corrupted at the RIP. The pdf's look fine when viewed in Adobe Acrobat. However, when running some tests, pdf's created using the Quark Export PDF option will show the corruption upon viewing the pdf. Originally thought the issue was with Helvetica and Multi-Ad Creator documents. However, recently it is happening with documents created in Quark, using different fonts. Some of the computers in our network where the Quark documents are created and distilled into pdf are running OS 10.4, others use 10.5, and using different versions of Adobe Distiller to create the pdf's. Originally we were using the Quark Export PDF option to create our page pdf's but were getting corrupted fonts, i.e. letters missing, etc, so we stuck with using Adobe Distiller to create the pdf's for everything. Our "server" is an external HD attached to a Mac G4 running OS 10.4, file sharing. The latest issue involved a pdf which was created from Multi-Ad Creator using Helvetica which corrupted on 2 pages sent to the B&W page setup on the RIP, but did fine when sent to the CMYK page setup at the RIP. Also, 2 documents which were created in Quark 8.02, using Goudy and Futura were corrupted; these were created in Quark 8.02 and distilled in Adobe Distiller 9, sent to the RIP from Quark 8.02, OS 10.5.
Could this be an issue with different operating systems on the network?
Anyone else having this problem?

Since Quark is still postscript based, try using eps files instead of PDF's, or move to InDesign if you have to use PDF file format.

Wouldn't eps files be terribly large?
Also, excuse my ignorance, but could you explain more about the Quark postscript based vs. InDesign issue - or give me a link to learn more. Thanks for your help

also try outputing to .ps then distill.

you can do that by going to print, select printer, then Adobe Distiller, then press ok, then press PDF, then click on convert to Postscript.

Then drag .ps file into distiller. You can select watch folders to do this automatically

Presently we have watched folders set up for that. However, we are exporting as eps files instead of .ps because it creates a pdf the exact size of the document/ad file. Would using .ps make a difference?

Presently we have watched folders set up for that. However, we are exporting as eps files instead of .ps because it creates a pdf the exact size of the document/ad file. Would using .ps make a difference?

Personally, I haven't use EPS files. We use PDF's mainly because its what's our workflow is. I do know we have had font issues exporting out of Quark so that is why we export as .ps into distiller. If I am using InDesign, I wouldn't need to but export to PDF from ID.

I am curious why you are having size differentials on the PDF?

Most RIPS can handle .ps files. so you might want to give it a try. I believe .ps are a lot larger than eps files tho.

We have a hot folder where we drop files into. Different folders for different configuration.

The watch folder that I mentioned in my previous post was referring to the distiller where it can distill as you work on another.

We use pdf's also. Ads are created in Quark or Multi-Ad Creator then exported as .eps into a watched folder in Distiller with specific Job Options. These pdf's are then used to build the pages for the newspaper via Quark The final pages are then exported as .eps from Quark into the Distiller folder for pdf creation where resulting pdf's are imported into a Quark template to be printed to the RIP. The final document going to the RIP is a coming out of Quark with pdf's imported. Maybe we need to create a pdf of the final document and drag and drop the resulting pdf into the RIP hot folder. I will have to test that.

If the Final PDF is built with the correct size, why not drop it in hot folder? We receives the PDF from Customer for our Newspaper Operation. We just drop the page into a hot folder. The only reason of using InDesign is if we have to change anything.

Our local Newspaper print right out of Quark without any issues. Its just when we have pages from other Publishers that we drag and drop PDF.

Another question: are the PDF that you receive have the fonts embedded into the file? and are you using a font management utility?

What

Dragging and dropping into the hot folder would require creating another pdf of the final 2-page setup, which is just another time consuming step so we just print directly to the RIP from Quark to save this extra step. However, as I stated earlier, I will have to test creating a pdf of the final 2-page setup and dragging into the hot folder to see if this solves the font corruption issue.
Yes, the job options in Distiller are set to embed fonts and yes we are using Suitcase Fusion as a font management utility.
The font corruption issue is in-house, not with outside print clients with ready made 2-page setup pdf files we drag and drop into the RIP hot folder. So I am beginning to think creating a pdf of our final 2-page spread may solve the problem, even though will take an extra step.

Good luck to you Newsads.. Hope you find a solution.. Have you recently ran the fonts thru an font doctor or some other cleaning and repairing utility? Just a thought

Yes, I did a diagnosis on my fonts the fonts it flagged were not any I was having trouble with???
Thanks for your help

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back