Font management recommendations

JLRobertson

I'm upgrading my production G5 PowerPC, on which I use Suitcase Fusion for font management, to a 2012 Mac Pro and CS6. Suggestions as to a font management program? It's in a print production environment, needs to be robust and reliable etc.

thx all

Since moving from OS 9 to OS X years ago, I've found the most reliable way to manage fonts is by manually managing them in the user>library>fonts directory.

Using FontExplorer X Pro here for 7 plus years. Pretty solid. Other than building sets and activating fonts it can do cache cleaning, preview, auto activate and searches among other features.

Manually moving fonts? Yikes!
Most font managers are less than $100 - the ROI is pretty short.

The InDesign folder works great - but sometimes fails when a font handler will work.
Also - the "Document Fonts" folder works very well inside the folder in which the InDesign document is living
but then fails if you save the "Original" file to another name to another folder.
Then the fonts fail when re-opened (unless you move the "Document Fonts" folder) - a major pain - over and over.
You also need to remember to delete the "Adobefnt.lst" index for InDy to re-read the font inclusion list.
It also does no good for Illustrator and Photoshop.
The user Library or hard drive library or Applications folder > Adobe > Fonts works OK.
But ...
Suitcase, for one, has the setting where the fonts you register to Suitcase can/will over ride the SYSTEM fonts - which can be a great thing -
so you are using ONLY the fonts in THAT particular job font folder.

MSD

--------

I'm upgrading my production G5 PowerPC, on which I use Suitcase Fusion for font management, to a 2012 Mac Pro and CS6. Suggestions as to a font management program? It's in a print production environment, needs to be robust and reliable etc.

thx all

I used to use FontExplorer and it's great. I now use Extensis Suitcase Fusion 5. Either way you can't go wrong with one of these two.

funny I have had the exact opposite with Illustrator. if a PC font comes my way or a problem font dump it into the folder and restart app. POW fixed ;)

Also if I remember right adobe products look in app font folder first then system.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back