FONT MANAGEMENT UTILITY - What's good..what isn't??

CalPress

Getting ready to implement a whole new workflow...which requires a whole lot of changes; principally a new OS and upgrades or replacement of a lot of software and utilities. Any suggestions on which direction to go in for font management, or what to avoid? We're currently using Extensis Suitcase Fusion, which has been pretty reliable.

Thanks

Personally, I'm a big fan of LinoType FontExplorer. It used to be free, but now it's about the same price as Suitcase. If you look hard enough you can still find the free version out there. I'm currently using it (the old free one) on OS 10.8.5 without any problems.

If a job is supplied as a packaged InDesign file, I don't use any font management at all. If packaged properly, ID places all needed fonts in the "Document fonts" folder. As long as this folder lives in the same directory as the ID file, ID will automatically load those fonts when you open the ID file. The folder must be named exactly as I typed it above, else it won't work.

Every now and then I still might need to load fonts thru FEX, but it's rare.

We have been using Extensis Suitcase Fusion for many years. But since InDesign got the feature to activate font's in the Document fonts folder I almost never use Suitcase anymore. And we are very rarely getting Quark-documents.. Adobe Typekit in Adobe Cloud looks interesting aswell but I have not used it yet.

Best regards,

I use the Mac OS/included FONT BOOK.app without problems. Have also used FontExplorer with success.

Just upgraded to Suitcase 6 with a new retina iMac . . . my weapon of choice in the font wars . . .

I use FontExplorer, it has been the best for me. Years ago I used Suitcase but had issues with fonts in it. I cannot remember now exactly what it was, but lots of problems with older fonts that would not be activated.

As DCurry said, I do not use font management software to often as I make sure all my jobs are packaged and if we do receive a working indesign file, I insist that it is packaged as well. It is one of the best features about indesign now, rarely do I need to fight with a clients fonts anymore!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back