Fonts doubling up in IDD??

acacia print

Hi, we have just produced two one colour jobs in IDD the first a card is PDF'ing fine and displays on the next computer fine after being sent. But the other file created the same is a simple form.

It looks fine when PDF'ed but when emailed it is displaying a lot of letters with a double look to them. I have attached a file showing the issue. one artist said that they think that the font is having its outline set to one font style and the fill of the font as another font style, and that this happens in Illustrator, but this was only ever handled in IDD.... odd. Any ideas what is going on?

Attachments

• TDL Forms 100 x 175.pdf
    496.1 KB · Views: 157
There is a line of type behind text that has been outlined. Like in the word "process". On top appears to be the outlined text and behind it is the live text. You can turn off the layers to see it too.

Attachments

• TDL Forms 100 x 175_mb.pdf
    501.2 KB · Views: 151
Thanks for investigating this with us Matt. We are going to try sending the font to the email recipient to install to see if that gets past it for now. What process did you use to view the layer effect? I am a bit green in that area and our graphic designer is remote (IE not in-house)

It looks as if it is linked to the fact that both I and the emailed client do not have the particular font installed. But I thought that this should be imbedded into the PDF so it should not matter. not sure if that sheds any light on the matter? The font is Gillsans - book. and also a times new roman. The times new roman says it is a subset embedded... or something but the Gillsans-book does not say that... is that the problem.... that it has not been imbedded???

Send me the native files if you can. Someone appears to have placed a text box on top of some existing art, like an Illustrator file or EPS with the outlined text. Best bet; send me the native files...

Ok, How do I do that...

I will look at getting the raw files from the designer after we see if our trick of sending the font works. There is something odd about this job that is probably a procedural error.... funny that one file has it the other does not. The designer is fairly experienced as well.... she is stumped... the people that I send the file onto are even more experienced....they are stumped as well...

Yep, there are characters that have been outlined in there. Viewing the original files I could probably tell you what's going on.

I was going to say that someone intentionally duplicated a layer in InDesign and then outlined the type but the tagline at the bottom of the pdf is also the same way so I don't think that's the case here.

Yes, It is an odd issue. Raw file is still on its way from designer....... having said that we got past the problem and the printing plates are now fine. I will try and find out from her how she got past it so I can post that on here as well. then we can all learn fron it and print of a page to go into the ever increasing "Book of Solutions" that sits beside the ard drive for repeat problems.....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back