fonts printing incorrectly from Chrome

bcr

Hi folks, apologies if this is the wrong subforum..

I'm trying to print an article from a website in Chrome, and I'm having real issues where the font is printing incorrectly. It is legible (i.e. not garbage), but the title is not printing in bold as it should. And the body text is coming out very thin and pale grey instead of a thicker font with dark grey colour.

This is occurring across all printers and pdf conversion methods on our Windows 2012 R2 remote desktop server. However, if we try to print it from another browser like IE, then it prints fine.
This leads me to think it might be something to do with fonts or advanced settings for Chrome?

I've tried to replicate the issue on my own PC running windows 11, and cannot, although that PC is running the latest version of Chrome (97), whereas the remote desktop server is running version (94). Going to update that shortly to see if it makes any difference.

I would be very grateful for any assistance with this as it's doing our heads in.

What is the url of the article?
Hi Greg, here it is:

It's behind a paywall but if you click 'print article' you'll see the header and body text which is enough to see the problem.

Tried from another computer running v97 and got the same thing you did. I think it may be purely a font issue as the other computer has very few fonts loaded.

Reactions: bcr
Prints fine here (v97

Advise you print to a PDF, then if needed, print as a image.

Hi Rich, this doesn't work unfortunately. This was first reported to us as an issue affecting the Adobe PDF Printer driver, but then we saw from Chrome's print preview that the same issue was happening when printing to any type of printer. It doesn't happen in IE so it seems to be Chrome related.

Tried from another computer running v97 and got the same thing you did. I think it may be purely a font issue as the other computer has very few fonts loaded.

Thanks Greg, I appreciate you taking the effort to try on numerous machines; having someone else replicate this problem elsewhere is incredibly useful as it proves it's not just our system!

I believe that you are having a problem with fonts currently not installed on your Win11 Computer, but the needed fonts are installed on your other Win10/11computer that displays OK... I am a retired Senior Tech Support person for Desktop & Laptop computer support at several large US companies.

The fonts problem you briefly describe I have seen occur when a remote website's webpage is first setup with HTML or JAVA using software that has installed Asian style fonts in an Asian language that may need to be converted or translated to English fonts. I have also noticed a similar fonts display problem when an Adobe Acrobat file is created that does not have the custom or additional fonts embedded within the document.

In the past, Microsoft issued a separate set of Asian fonts in a s/w release currently discussed on the Microsoft Office Support website at Add East Asian fonts in Windows 10 for use with Office documents ... Please note this URL is a Microsoft corporate website and has been checked for virus or malware with none found.

I suggest that you try installing these East Asian Fonts and then reboot or log off/on your computer and re-check if the display problem returns.

Other possible causes of fonts not displaying correctly could be a webpage coding problem where HTML or JAVA webpage programming code encounters an error and cannot find a substitute font due to coding errors on the wepage. This is unlikely for your concern because the webpage seems to display OK on your other computers.

Some corporate websites and computers are maintained by System Administrators who install a recommend list of additional Microsoft fonts for business use. However, small business or home users often do not get the same level of notifications, updates, or support from Microsoft. This may be why some of these Asian fonts were not pre-installed on a home computer.

I believe that you are having a problem with fonts currently not installed on your Win11 Computer, but the needed fonts are installed on your other Win10/11computer that displays OK... I am a retired Senior Tech Support person for Desktop & Laptop computer support at several large US companies.

The fonts problem you briefly describe I have seen occur when a remote website's webpage is first setup with HTML or JAVA using software that has installed Asian style fonts in an Asian language that may need to be converted or translated to English fonts. I have also noticed a similar fonts display problem when an Adobe Acrobat file is created that does not have the custom or additional fonts embedded within the document.

In the past, Microsoft issued a separate set of Asian fonts in a s/w release currently discussed on the Microsoft Office Support website at Add East Asian fonts in Windows 10 for use with Office documents ... Please note this URL is a Microsoft corporate website and has been checked for virus or malware with none found.

I suggest that you try installing these East Asian Fonts and then reboot or log off/on your computer and re-check if the display problem returns.

Other possible causes of fonts not displaying correctly could be a webpage coding problem where HTML or JAVA webpage programming code encounters an error and cannot find a substitute font due to coding errors on the wepage. This is unlikely for your concern because the webpage seems to display OK on your other computers.

Some corporate websites and computers are maintained by System Administrators who install a recommend list of additional Microsoft fonts for business use. However, small business or home users often do not get the same level of notifications, updates, or support from Microsoft. This may be why some of these Asian fonts were not pre-installed on a home computer.

Hi Questor,

I very much appreciate you taking the effort to give such a full and detailed response! I'll look into it.

Many thanks,

Ben

Here's more info about loading additional Microsoft Language Packs on computers to possibly get rid of strange font characters or spacing by installing additional fonts that were missing.

Microsoft Language Accessory Pack for Office (URL link to article listed below)

Language Accessory Pack for Office​

Excel for Microsoft 365 Word for Microsoft 365 Outlook for Microsoft 365 More...

Language packs add additional display, help, and proofing tools to Office. You can install additional language accessory packs after installing Microsoft Office. If a language accessory pack is described as having partial localization, some parts of Office may still display in the language of your copy of Microsoft Office.

If a language is listed only once, for example German, then that pack includes the tools for all countries/regions that use that language.

Important: If your organization installed Office on your computer, contact your IT department to install any language packs.

Step 1: Install the language accessory pack​

Select the version of Office you're using from the tabs below, then select the language desired from the drop-down list. Then choose the appropriate architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) from the download links provided. If you're not sure what you're using see What version of Office am I using?

Once the file is downloaded, double-click it to install it.

Office 2021, Microsoft 365 subscriptionOffice 2019Office 2016Office 2013

Step 2: Configure Office language​

After you install the language accessory pack, you must configure Office for your new language preferences. This configuration affects all your Office applications.

Note: If you're using Office 365 and the commands available are different from what's shown here, click the Office 2016 tab and follow the instructions there.

1. In any Office application, go to File > Options > Language.
  2. Under Office display Language, make sure the display language you want Office to use is listed.

Office display language
  3. Under Office authoring languages and proofing, make sure the language you want to use for authoring your document is listed.
    Office authoring languages and proofing

If the language accessory pack includes proofing tools for that language, its status appears as Proofing installed. If the status is Proofing available, click the link to install the proofing tools.
  4. Restart all Office programs for your changes to take effect.

You can change the default language for all your Office applications in the Set the Office Language Preferences dialog. For more information, see Add a language or set language preferences in O

Reactions: bcr

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back