Foreign Language Font Dropping Punctuation

amybest222

using Prinery 4.2 Its a Korean Font DFKGothic-Md and ONLY SOME of the punctuation drops out AFTER RIPPING. the pdf shows the font as an embedded subset . After i make ourtlines (obviously) the glyph is correct. but the odd thing is only SOME of the same font commas dropped, some stayed. the customer is looking for an explantion... anyone?

I've seen this happen two ways:

#1 -- The font isn't actually the same. Maybe a different postscript name, or even a different font altogether just at that character if you haven't checked.

#2 -- The document is created using the "Combine PDF tool" in Acrobat. Combining two different documents with identically named but differently subset fonts can create havoc.

In both cases, if the original fonts are available to you, I would try to reprint them to Distiller, after making sure that "Rely on system fonts only" is checked.

Foreign Language Font Dropping Punctuation

Hello,
Make sure fonts are fully embedded and not subsetted. May be a larger pdf file but try it.

CJK (Chinese Japanese Korean) fonts can be problematic with licensing. They only allow subset, and some times not even that. I know of those that end up converting all to outlines, and other cases where the only solution is to upload the font to the RIP. I know during the time we were using preps this was problematic, and there were different ways to handle fonts… If I remember correctly the fonts needed to be embedded after the imposition, else the subset characters would be limited to the first page that was imposed. I do not have prinergy and it was some time ago, but see if you can uppload the fonts to your RIP and leave them unembbeded prior to that.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back