Four color printing on two color press using powder

CostaRicaPrinter

Hello,

I just thought I'd share something we found on our last job. I have an AB Dick Century 3000 and we do quite a bit of four color printing. Recently I had to do a job on glossy paper, lots of ink, both sides. Powder needed! However, as we moved into the second pass, the powder on the paper made the paper "bounce" tremendously (yes, we made attempts to blow the powder off, shake it off, and everything short of manually wiping each sheet!). Needless to say, registration was being affected - negatively!

I found that by putting an extra brush / weight on top of the hold-down strip as the paper was all the way into the stops kept the sheet from bouncing, and we could regain good registration. The weight was quite forward. I don't know if anyone else has run into this problem, but the extra weight helped control the paper, and we could continue in spite of the powder.

I hope this helps someone else who might be fighting the terrible powder!

Costa Rica Printer
Bill G

Unless it's an epically long run, run it back through and de-dust it next time!!

Oh.... And turn off the spray powder when you do this lol... I've De-dusted and left it on before... Defeats the purpose hehe :)

Running 4 color work on anything other than a 4-color press just sucks. But if that's what you have then make it work. Back in the early 90s when I was fresh out of high school I was running 4/4 gloss book jobs on a single color Chief 29A. Back then I didn't know any better and thought it was exciting when I wasn't cussing all the washups.

Running 4 color work on anything other than a 4-color press just sucks. But if that's what you have then make it work. Back in the early 90s when I was fresh out of high school I was running 4/4 gloss book jobs on a single color Chief 29A. Back then I didn't know any better and thought it was exciting when I wasn't cussing all the washups.

Ha used to do the same thing on a Solna 125 or a GTO46... Kept you on top of your game!!

We had a Chief too.... But it would not register at all: we did get it for free so maybe it had seen a smash or two...

Work purpose for the four color printing on two color press using powder plays an important role. By this, one will surely get to know about the color printing.

Could be worse. How does 4/4 with varnish on both sides, through a single color press sound? Thinking back to them days is just a reminder of how good the printing industry was back then. A company could actually make money on a job doing it that way.

My old Harris 29" two color with feed roll insertion cranked out four color work so reliably I did not consider running process on a two color to be the slightest bit unusual. Until I tried to help a friend with a Miller TP-36 with three point register. I wasted a ton of his paper and time and was ashamed of myself for being unable to do what I ordinarily would have considered a routine job.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back