G7 By the numbers

donatelo

Hi I was wondering if any one can explain to me the the idea behind using the fan-graph method and TVI? Am I just trying to hit a specific set of values on my final test form? I have been dropped into a position where the company that I work for wants to become G7 compliant, yet has no spectrometry just densitometers, they do not have the proper g7 test forms although they will be purchasing them. Is there any way to confirm that the paper that I am running the test on is G7 compliant. And if the paper is not can I adjust my measurements to bring it in line. Thanks for your help in advance.

G7 By The Numbers

G7 By The Numbers

Hi Donatello,

You have very limited means to hit G7, but even with just a densitometer, you can do tolerably well.

GRACoL has specific paper requirements (Flo is a good match). but G7 is adaptable to a range of paperwhite points.

G7 and GRACoL no longer specify density, but 1.45c 1.45m 1.05y 1.7K will get you into the ballpark. Include 53% K in your colorbar. Get it to .54 V density, plus the paper density. Get 50 c 40m 40y to the same 3 filter densities as the 53% black.

Done. (or at least damn close).

Lack of spectrometer will be difficult to find the best density under the smallest dE.You can control the density around 1.45c 1.45m 1.05y 1.7K ,but this only promise the primary color match the ISO,it can`t tell RGB color within the tolerance,So I advice you have to buy a spectrometer.

Hi I was wondering if any one can explain to me the the idea behind using the fan-graph method and TVI? Am I just trying to hit a specific set of values on my final test form? I have been dropped into a position where the company that I work for wants to become G7 compliant, yet has no spectrometry just densitometers, they do not have the proper g7 test forms although they will be purchasing them. Is there any way to confirm that the paper that I am running the test on is G7 compliant. And if the paper is not can I adjust my measurements to bring it in line. Thanks for your help in advance.

If you read the "How-To" docs, it explains the fan graph paper method.

On instruments.....
You can implement the G7 Method with just a densitometer but you canNOT implement GRACoL, SWOP3 or SWOP5 or any of the other G7 target color spaces without a spectro...period. The G7 method alone is for targeting NPDC (Neutral Print Density tone curve) but no specific colorimetry. If you want to target a specific colorimetry (GRACoL, SWOP, ...), which I suspect you do, you'll need to use a spectrophotometer or bring in a G7 Expert consultant to do it for you that will have the right equipment.

Terry

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back