Generating Blank Pdf from pdf placed into INDD

amybest222

Client supplied pdf CMYK with vector text 300 dpi
(Billboard- Large Format)
pixel ratio of image is 38100 x17100
When placed into Indd it generates a blank pdf.
Says was created in Acrobat 11(pitstop Preflight)
Placed pdf into New CC 2014 still makes a blank pdf
remove image and vector text now shows up in the PDF?
If i try to recreate a PS file with that pixel ratio it tells me that PS files over 30000 pixels may not be supported by older versions of PS and or other applications.
There are no spot colors or transparency in this image
anybody else experience this.. without rebuilding the file?
I exported the image using NEO (artworks) and changed the pixel ratio
Comments?

What is the file size and what OS are you working with? A quick test in Photoshop with your dimensions yields a file of 2.43 GB. Once you exceed 2 GB, strange behaviors crop up.

Pit Stop is showing a huge amount of JPEG compression, 4525446900% on that image? I wonder if thats the reason, this was built in InDesign CC BTW, not Acrobat. I hate to say but I always have issues with files from the company that built this. They like to mix RGB and CMYK even on B&W jobs. I can't even place this in Indesign CS3 I get an "Invalid PNG file" error.
That being said, this is how I got it do what you need.
Open in Acrobat 10 and edit the image in Photoshop. Save the image as a Tiff on the desktop. delete the image from the original PDF in Acrobat. Place the saved image in InDesign ( I used CS6) then place the PDF with transparent background checked in import options on top of the image. Now export to PDF. This worked and the resulting PDF is 475 megs thats using ZIP compression.

Thanks

Thanks

Pit Stop is showing a huge amount of JPEG compression, 4525446900% on that image? I wonder if thats the reason, this was built in InDesign CC BTW, not Acrobat. I hate to say but I always have issues with files from the company that built this. They like to mix RGB and CMYK even on B&W jobs. I can't even place this in Indesign CS3 I get an "Invalid PNG file" error.
That being said, this is how I got it do what you need.
Open in Acrobat 10 and edit the image in Photoshop. Save the image as a Tiff on the desktop. delete the image from the original PDF in Acrobat. Place the saved image in InDesign ( I used CS6) then place the PDF with transparent background checked in import options on top of the image. Now export to PDF. This worked and the resulting PDF is 475 megs thats using ZIP compression.

Basically thats what i did using Neo..I realized after when you do a command I on the file is says Created with INDD CC using Acrobat 11.. sorry for not clarifying..
Weird .. just wondering why someone would use those crazy specs to create a billboard... go figure! thanks for the input i did not notice the compression.. ... i would imagine that could've played a part!

I am having the same problem with Indesign CC. Tried exporting with 2 different presets with the same problem. Very weird. I am on a Mac 10.9.3

••edit••

I just tried with Indesign CC2014 and was able to make a pdf using press quality settings. It failed on high quality settings.

Last edited:
If it exports as interactive PDF it could be the background process that is killing the export. I've seen cases where images disappear. There is a way of forcing the export in foreground which may solve the issue, I'm asking for permission to share the script from Uwe Laubender.

There is a script written by Uwe Laubender that I have used to force foreground export (to resolve disappearing objects) it is published here:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/4526773#4526773

What you do is create a file named "ExportPDF_in_Foreground.jsx" with this code:
//ExportPDF_in_Foreground.jsx
//Uwe Laubender
/**
* @@@BUILDINFO@@@ ExportPDF_in_Foreground.jsx !Version! Wed Jun 23 2010 17:08:10 GMT+0200
*/
//DESCRIPTION:pDF-Export in foreground (old school like in InDesign CS4)

if(app.documents.length>0){
var d=app.activeDocument;
};
else{
alert("Please open a document to execute export to pdf. Script will be aborted.");
exit();
}
if(d.saved == false){
alert("Save your document first before executing export to pdf. Script will be aborted.");
exit();
};

var pdfPath = Folder.selectDialog("Folder to save pdf:");
var pdfName = d.name+".pdf";

var userDefFileName = prompt("File name:",pdfName,undefined);

if(userDefFileName == null){
exit();
};

var pdfFullName = pdfPath+"/"+userDefFileName;

if(File(pdfFullName).exists){
c=confirm("The PDF-file \""+userDefFileName+"\" is already existing. Do you want to overwrite it?",true,undefined);
if (c==0){exit()};
};
//Error-handling if PDF file override is on and PDF is already opened in an PDF reader app:
try{
d.exportFile(ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE,File(pdfFullName),true,undefined,undefined);
}catch(e){
alert("Error:\r"+e.message+"\r\r(Line "+ e.line+" in script code.)");
exit();
};

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back