Global Printing - Paper sizes for Digital Offset

burton514

Please forgive me, my printing knowledge is not great.

I've been working with a client that has several local markets around the world and prints very small runs. Being that offset would be too expensive we are looking at digital offset. I'm based in the US so our largest digital offset size is "18.125in" x 13.375in". I know almost everywhere else other than North America there is the ISO216 paper standard.

Is digital offset fairly standard throughout the world? What is the largest sheet that can go through printers not in the US? Are there any resources for those who are working on print projects for global use? Information that would help guide them so that their work is compatible with all markets globally.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,
Digital Offset is the term used exclusively for the HP Indigo system because it uses 'liquid toner' - like ink. Xerox, Oce, Canon, Xeikon, Konica Minolta etc use powder toner but results can still be very high quality. High volume inkjet is emerging but is not yet up to liquid and powder toner quality, but is good enough for direct mail and mid-quality marketing collaterals.
To sheet sizes; I am in Australia and we converted to the ISO/DIN 'A' and 'B' metric sheet sizes in the 1970s. All measurement in milimetres. 25.4mm = 1 inch.
Here are the max sheet sizes that go through digital presses here:
Xerox iGen 3/4: 364mm x 521mm
HP Indigos: 330mm x 483mm
Canon & Ricoh: 330mm x 488mm

Image area in all cases is marginally smaller than sheet size. Bigger 'sheet' sizes can be achieved on web-fed digital presses such as Xeikon and Oce ColorStream.
Outside of the USA, you will find most people, whjen they talk 'pages or impressions per minute' will mean A4 pages (210mm x 297mm) - which are printed 2-up on A3+ sheets.

Hope this helps.

If you require any help in printing on an indigo in india let me know.

Please forgive me, my printing knowledge is not great.

I've been working with a client that has several local markets around the world and prints very small runs. Being that offset would be too expensive we are looking at digital offset. I'm based in the US so our largest digital offset size is "18.125in" x 13.375in". I know almost everywhere else other than North America there is the ISO216 paper standard.

Is digital offset fairly standard throughout the world? What is the largest sheet that can go through printers not in the US? Are there any resources for those who are working on print projects for global use? Information that would help guide them so that their work is compatible with all markets globally.

Thanks in advance!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back