Looking for a digital printer for 4x5 pouches with interior foil barrier

Sydney

I currently print about 2M pouches/year - mostly 4.25x5 and 5x6 - for an FDA approved powder product. There is a
paper faced/foil lamination and we heat seal it after it’s filled. We change bar codes frequently so we need the ability to print in-house and we have historically used an offset printer.
Two issues seem to come up with the digitals: one is the small size of the pouch (they are stacked, not a continuous roll) and the other is the foil.
Aside from an HP Indigo (out of our budget) can anyone recommend a printer that would work for us? Very much appreciate your help.

I'm not sure that foil pouch can be printed in a toner machine (using a fuser). Unless the foil is being added after printing (via lamination). The size is also a problem because historically A2 envelopes are about the smallest size you can get to print and even those are out of spec on most digital printers. A2s are sized at 4.375in x 5.75in

Have you considered using an IJet Envelope Printer? Those use ink but are small affordable and seem more geared towards that kind of project. A lot of people use them for NCR forms.
There's someone selling a used one, the one I was selling is gone already but someone else is selling one. Here is that thread: https://printplanet.com/threads/ijetcolor-envelope-printer.293112/

If you're running a lot of these then this isn't a bad way to go economically and you circumvent the fuser issues.

Here is the main company page: iJetColor — iJetColor They run about $23k - $24k new (at least that's about what ours was for the low-end budget version).

I'm not sure that foil pouch can be printed in a toner machine (using a fuser). Unless the foil is being added after printing (via lamination). The size is also a problem because historically A2 envelopes are about the smallest size you can get to print and even those are out of spec on most digital printers. A2s are sized at 4.375in x 5.75in

Have you considered using an IJet Envelope Printer? Those use ink but are small affordable and seem more geared towards that kind of project. A lot of people use them for NCR forms.
There's someone selling a used one, the one I was selling is gone already but someone else is selling one. Here is that thread: https://printplanet.com/threads/ijetcolor-envelope-printer.293112/

If you're running a lot of these then this isn't a bad way to go economically and you circumvent the fuser issues.

Here is the main company page: iJetColor — iJetColor They run about $23k - $24k new (at least that's about what ours was for the low-end budget version).
Thank you - i spoke with IJet - they said the foil is a showstopper.

That’s weird. I wonder why. There’s no heat elements in the iJet and if you’re printing on the paper side it’s a straight very short path through the printing element. I wonder if it’s because of how the rollers work maybe they’re worried it would bind up but it still seems to me like it would work 🤷‍♀️

Might checkout some of the Epson printers that are designed to print on unusual materials? Out of my wheelhouse there though.

"a showstopper" as I understand it is a positive.

I just don't know if inkjet would dry on a foil, even if it dried to handle seems like it would scratch easily.

"a showstopper" as I understand it is a positive.

I just don't know if inkjet would dry on a foil, even if it dried to handle seems like it would scratch easily.
Ah, I had it in my mind that it was paper on one side and foil on the other side.

You are on the right track with envelope printers. The HAWK line of printers offers UV cure ink, and can print on plastic, poly bags, etc. If you are already using a transport system for the pouches, a HAWK print head and UV lamp could probably be mounted there to print inline if there is enough space. If you need to preprint, they can set you up with a base and feeder.

Last edited:
Before making a decision, it's advisable to consult with a representative from Xeikon or a local distributor to discuss your specific requirements in detail and ensure that the chosen printer aligns with your production needs and budget constraints.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back