GRACOL: total ink coverage limit?

I am designing something to be printed using the GRACoL 2006 ICC profile. Is there an official limit to the total ink coverage (C+M+Y+K) or a good rule of thumb about how much is too much? I'm striving for colorful darks but don't want to overdo it.

I have read 340% in various places but would like to confirm.

Last edited:
Similar to (Fogra39) ISO Coated v2, the first release was around 330%, then an alternative 300% was released to presumably remove concerns with over inking.

The difference being that I am not aware of a freely available GRACoL 300% version.

Stephen Marsh

Wouldn't 300% be the same as SWOP? I thought GRACoL was higher.

My point was that ISO Coated v2 is very similar to GRACoL. They both have a “standard” version that is 330>… however in the case of ISO Coated v2, the 300% limit version is favoured by some who like to play things “safe”. Why should GRACoL be any different? Some may prefer a lower total ink than the “standard”.

There is more to a print condition than total ink limit. Yes, the ink limit can be both be 300%, however GRACoL is not the same as SWOP.

For example, gray balance is different between SWOP and GRACoL. Different primaries, different traps, different TVI.

Assign a SWOP profile to a GRACoL job, or assign a GRACoL profile to a SWOP job. If the only difference is total ink limit, the image should not change visually. Yet it does (different primaries, different traps, different TVI).

Assign ISO Coated v2 300% to a ISO Coated v2 job or vice versa, there should be no visual change as the source characterisation data is the same. Same primaries, same traps, same TVI. Different total ink limits, so this is where some minor variation may occur.

Yes, in theory heavier type 1 paper in a sheet fed press can hold 330%+ total ink and lighter type 3 paper in a web press can hold less ink – however that does not mean that all printers printing on sheetfed presses like to print over 300% total ink, even if they can do so without set-off or worrying about breaking a web.

There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to total ink limits:

VIGC Max TAC ICC-profiles

The Power of Grey and Black | The Missing Horse Consultancy

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Thanks for that explanation. I'm also looking at the 2013 GRACoL Uncoated profile. TAC is 280%. Is that workable, or does it need to be knocked back as well?

Thanks for that explanation. I'm also looking at the 2013 GRACoL Uncoated profile. TAC is 280%. Is that workable, or does it need to be knocked back as well?

Depends on the printer that is printing the job.

280 total ink seems a fair expectation for uncoated work, however it may depend on the paper weight.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back