Halftone Screens

jimbob

Cory - I'm not sure what the ideal forum would be, but yours sounded promising. I am a high school photography teacher and I have a student who is engaged in a futile search for a half-tone printing screen. She wants to use it in the darkroom when printing her 35 mm black and white negative. The look she is attempting to produce is similar to the the "comic book" look of the artist Roy Lichtenstein (sp), if you are familiar with his work. She is therefore looking for (we assume), a screen that will produce a rather large dot pattern, but we have had no luck locally, or on the net, in tracking one down.... the usual response is "oh I haven't seen one of those in years!". Do you have any ideas as far as locating a screen - and what size we should be looking for?? Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks, Jim Wight-Waltman
Ballard High School
Louisville, KY 40222

Cory - I'm not sure what the ideal forum would be, but yours sounded promising. I am a high school photography teacher and I have a student who is engaged in a futile search for a half-tone printing screen. She wants to use it in the darkroom when printing her 35 mm black and white negative. The look she is attempting to produce is similar to the the "comic book" look of the artist Roy Lichtenstein (sp), if you are familiar with his work. She is therefore looking for (we assume), a screen that will produce a rather large dot pattern, but we have had no luck locally, or on the net, in tracking one down.... the usual response is "oh I haven't seen one of those in years!". Do you have any ideas as far as locating a screen - and what size we should be looking for?? Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

What you're looking for is called a mechanical screen tint. You can buy them from Caprock Developments here:
Camera Screens and Tints for conventional pre-press halftones in cameras and enlargers, new white dot screens for copiers.

BUT Trying to do that effect using film is very complex and difficult - it's what prepress film strippers used to do. A better, and much easier way is to do it digitally.

Here's a quick sample:

Dotty.jpg

Contact me directly at pritchardgordon @ gmail (dot) com and I can provide you with instructions.

best, gordon p

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back