Hardcover Size

leokor

Hi,

What is the standard difference between the size of a hard cover and the page trim size? Say, I need a dust jacket for a 6"x9" page trim. If X is the spine width and 3.5" the width of each flap, what would the dimensions of the dust jacket be? Obviously, it should be more than (19+X)"x9". But by how much? (19.25+X)"x9.25"? Or something else?

Leo

what ?
A paper jacket for a book;?
jacket on which promotional information is usually printed ?
You have to think how many pages You have in the book.
How thick is your jacket going to be.
The easiest way is to make up a dummy book We've all your pages in it.
And then stick a pin where the margin is and at the edge of the copy Becomes as you know.
The margin is smaller in the middle of the book and the pin mark will give you the measurement.

The old ways Is the best.....ha! ha!............sorry if I got this wrong

Leokor,
Are you outsourcing the binding of these?
We usually get the dimensions from the binding vendor.
The only variable in my mind is how long the flaps will be that wrap inside the front and back cover.

HTH

I do apologise as I misunderstood your question.
But I would love to know what the outcome is, to your question.
Because I find this intriguing
Sorry cannot help you.
Eddie

Thank, everyone. To answer our questions, I'm not a printer. I'm a beginning small press publisher, laying out the first book to be published. I don't yet know who will print and bind it, but I already have someone working on the illustration for the dust jacket. Since it's going to bleed, I need to know what the standard bleed size would be for a dust jacket, relative to the trim size. For the text pages, the standard is 1/8"; if a particular printer requires a tiny bit more or a tiny bit less, then I'll be able to accomodate that easily. But if different binderies have widely different requirements for a dust jacket, then it means I must first find the printer/binder. So my question was whether there is some sort of industry standard on this.

Leo

Leokor,

I called my case binding vendor and they said add 1/4" to both trim dimensions to get your cover dimension.

8 1/2 x 11 final trim size = 8 3/4 x 11 1/4 final cover size + 1/8" bleed. With bleed would be 8 7/8 x 11 3/8.
(you could go 1/4" bleed but that will be up to your printer if there is room on the press sheet.)

FYI - standard flap size is 3 1/2"

You really can't get an overall size until you determine paper stocks and spine thickness but I hope this answers your question.

Greg

Last edited:
Leokor,

I called my case binding vendor and they said add 1/4" to both trim dimensions to get your cover dimension.

8 1/2 x 11 final trim size = 8 3/4 x 11 1/4 final cover size + 1/8" bleed. With bleed would be 8 7/8 x 11 3/8.
(you could go 1/4" bleed but that will be up to your printer if there is room on the press sheet.)

FYI - standard flap size is 3 1/2"

You really can't get an overall size until you determine paper stocks and spine thickness but I hope this answers your question.

Greg

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

I actually have a preference for a particular paper stock for text and dust jacket (due to a thematic resonance with the book's subject matter), though not for endpapers and cover. But the artist doesn't have to illustrate the spine. :)

Leo

P.S. I suppose the bleed of 1/8" is to be added twice if bleeding on all four sides (in my case, a solid color everywhere but the front illustration).

I did a double check on my math.
With 1/8" bleeds your cover art should be 11 1/2" tall.
11" final + 1/4" for Cover + 1/8" head bleed + 1/8" foot bleed.
Spine to face is more tricky. Depending on the design and color breaks, I would plan
on 8 3/4". Better if you don't have a hard line color break. Just bleed the image onto your flaps.

I'm not a designer so I'll stop there hopefully this information helps you.
I have included a jacket layout from my vendor that gives you a rough idea of the industry standard.

Good luck,

Greg

Attachments

• Blank Jacket Layout.jpg
    Blank Jacket Layout.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 205

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back