Harlequin vs ColorBurst Pro vs EFI

Paige

Not sure which one to get, any suggestions? (The RIP software is for an Epson Stylus Pro 4880 printer - I'll be using it to create contract proofs)

Depends on your workflow

Depends on your workflow

The two major things to consider are "Content" and "Color".
Your decision needs to consider how you will use this printer.
If you are using the printer for an end product then you need to make sure the Rip can handle both of these issues in a fashion your customer demand.
If you are using it for Proofing - then what are you trying to Proof? If you have a workflow generating printing plates - and you want to proof these plates - then you need to make sure that the Content you send to any rip is going to be accurate. If you can insure that your workflow has rock solid content generation then you can focus your search for a rip that gives you the best Color control.
Here is an example of managing the Content side of your proofs.
TIFFPager The Everything Tool for all Flavors of TIFF files!
David Lewis

Colorburst or EFI will do you fine. I don't have any idea what Harlequin has to offer.

The IPA proofing comparisons became hairsplitting competitions. All the major players are very capable.

Take a look at Serendipity, also (Black Magic or MegaRip). I was impressed enough to buy it. You get A LOT for the money - A LOT. And the ease of setup and use is nice.

The two major things to consider are "Content" and "Color".
Your decision needs to consider how you will use this printer.
If you are using the printer for an end product then you need to make sure the Rip can handle both of these issues in a fashion your customer demand.
If you are using it for Proofing - then what are you trying to Proof? If you have a workflow generating printing plates - and you want to proof these plates - then you need to make sure that the Content you send to any rip is going to be accurate. If you can insure that your workflow has rock solid content generation then you can focus your search for a rip that gives you the best Color control.
Here is an example of managing the Content side of your proofs.
TIFFPager The Everything Tool for all Flavors of TIFF files!
David Lewis

Thanks for the reply. :) Well, I'm not using the RIP for an end product, more for color matching, or best color control. I took a look at the link, I really do like the features, I just wish it worked with other file types aside from TIFF, or at least that's the way it seems?

Colorburst or EFI will do you fine. I don't have any idea what Harlequin has to offer.

The IPA proofing comparisons became hairsplitting competitions. All the major players are very capable.

Take a look at Serendipity, also (Black Magic or MegaRip). I was impressed enough to buy it. You get A LOT for the money - A LOT. And the ease of setup and use is nice.

Hi Rich, it does look awesome, although sadly it's a little bit outside of my budget. :) Thanks anyway for the suggestion, now I have something to put on my future Christmas wishlist. :)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back