Heavy Sigh

old guy

sales wants to know if we put a 4k monitor up in the press room, to view the pdfs, if we could match "what they see on their screens" better.
It's beer o'clock see everyone on monday.

sales wants to know if we put a 4k monitor up in the press room, to view the pdfs, if we could match "what they see on their screens" better.
It's beer o'clock see everyone on monday.

Tell them the monitor doesn't have to be 4k.

Last edited:
Just change the hue setting on the monitor to look like crap and then all of your sheets will look awesome! Also, ask the customers to bring a loupe so they can confirm you're printing dot for dot!
OR.... just put a sign in the press room that says all sales staff in the area will be ground into PMS 485.

A friend of mine recently told me that somebody on his sales staff asked if their indesign file was "laser safe" WOW.... the world grows dimmer every day.

Best of luck!

If your work is printing "happy" or "pleasing" color and especially if you're competing in the low cost market then, IMHO, there is no reason why you can't use an HD TV press-side to guide the press operator. Using soft proofing at press is how many magazines and newspapers operate. Granted they'll be using more sophisticated displays - however the principle is the same. Again, IMHO, today's LCD and LED TVs (e.g. LG and Sony) are up to the job as practical soft proofing alternatives to expensive displays such as Eizo for that class of work.

I would tell them that 4k is a little too expensive, and that you could put up a fairly big one for less than 1k.... ;)

maybe i can set it up like a light table, lay the press sheet on it and tell them its a scanner that lines up the colors. Maybe Gordo and the guys could actually make that work and we wouldn't have to read color bars anymore.

maybe i can set it up like a light table, lay the press sheet on it and tell them its a scanner that lines up the colors. Maybe Gordo and the guys could actually make that work and we wouldn't have to read color bars anymore.

If the wind blows right, some day in the future, you'll hopefully not be reading color bars anymore.

I was at a Time magazine print facility when they first started trialling at press soft-proofing (around 2000). It really didn't take long for them to get used to it - of course, they were printing "to the numbers" with the expectation that color would fall into place (with minor adjustments). If an ad failed they could simply point to the fact that they printed to SWOP - so it wasn't their problem it was the ad prep company's. What the press operators really liked was that they could see the individual separations, a tool that's more important in a shop that runs a lot of spot colors.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back