Heidelberg QM-DI Pro + random blank stripe

Press: Heidelberg QM-DI Pro (1999). Purchased used & we refurbished it ourselves.
RIP: MS Windows NT v4 with Delta RIP 7.5

Issue: Random single blank stripe from head to toe, lengthwise on images from Delta RIP and on press sheets.

Triple checked all PDFs and files and sent to other printers in network with no issues.

Note: Our Windows NT server went down six months ago and had to replace the C: Root Drive and re-install Windows NT and Delta RIP software (before my time here). Owner and pressman say it has been happening more often.

PLEASE ADVISE on probable CAUSES and SOLUTION.

Thanks in advance.

Yes on the console preview which is viewing from the image file on the RIP. It usually happens more often on the CYAN plate.

I don't know the software of the PRO in details, only the Classic and Plus machine.

First: You have to find out if it's a RIP issue or a network transmission issue
I don't know the Delta RIP, but there must be some kind of preview optin directly on the RIP PC (Not via the console on the DI)
If you find the fault on the output file generated on the RIP, then the RIP/OS/HW is the issue
Could be lot's of things with NT 4.0 Harddrive controller driver would be the first thing i would look at.

If the file is OK at the RIP then it's a network transmission error or DI Console PC issue
If the Pro also is using the old Netbeui protocol, make sure that it's the only protocol installed on the NIC that communicates with the DI.

Try to copy the DI files to console PC before imaging

Last edited:
How do you preview files from RIP? Can I install Acrobat PDF Reader on the old Windows NT RIP?

The RIP is an old IBM xSeries server with Windows NT 4 with Delta RIP 7.5

How do you preview files from RIP? Can I install Acrobat PDF Reader on the old Windows NT RIP?

The RIP is an old IBM xSeries server with Windows NT 4 with Delta RIP 7.5

Maybe someone with better knowledge to the Delta RIP can chime in here.

It's the Ripped DI/TIFF files you have to preview, not the PDF's!

I found a BitMap Viewer but can't find where the TIFF files are saved to. Any idea's what drive and/or directory where these are located?

Last edited:
Heidelberg QM-DI Pro + random blank stripe

We have a DI classic and have experienced what seems to be the same issue. We found that the issue appeared to have happened when we sent the file to the rip. In our rip software we were able to zoom in on the image file and see that it was in the ripped file and not in the native application file. Our solution was to just re-rip the the file, and resend to the press.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back