Heidleberg DI Pro Ink curves

Can anyone tell me how to set these curves. When running heavy coverage we have to ramp all colors up to increase the speed of the press over like 7000 IPH

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

Ret Heidelberg Instructor

It has been awhile but I'll see if I can help. I am going from memory. If it is a Pro Model with the CP2000 touch screen interface go to the service menu and find the chacteristic curves screen. Try this out with a new job with a fair amount of coverage. Saved job ink profiles cannot be altered. You will see 9 memory spots M1, M2 etc. and a spot for One with an R is for basic settings. Select one of M labeled memories (M9) and select a color eg. yelo. Just try this out to see if it works. Select the percentage key and raise the values by 100% and save them with the check mark to lock it in.
Now I will tell you to try something. De-select the memory you altered for yelo and select R basic setting. This is the one that allows you to select Basic High and Low. Load your job and then load your ink settings. You do not have to image. You will hear the keys move and set up. Take a look at the values on your screen and write down the sweep value and the key percentage value for all 12 keys just for the yelo just for reference.
Now go and select the memory that has the yelo modified M9 and reload the job and then load the ink settings. (Do not image). Check the values of the yelo and compare them to the basic settings. You should be able to see an increase of approx 100%. This can be done for all colors.
If you this from the Job Prep screen (Lilac Background) you can see the same effects and you won't have to image to see how it works. You can even view the ink profile on the Job Prep screen after you load the ink settings and then select the 3 dot ink icon.
Hope this helps, it is kind of hard to explain without being in front of it. Let us know how you make out.

The .ink files are just text files. You might be better off writing a quick spreadsheet or something that will increase the values of the data the RIP provided...

There is a test form that you can use to set press curves, I did it last year with a Heidelberg demonstrator, perhaps you can ask about this.

Retired Heidelberg Instructor

Retired Heidelberg Instructor

Madjock, you are correct in what you say about the test form for setting ink curves. I myself did it several years ago. Unfortunately it is hidden in the service menu along with some other tests like the a QM test file for 1270 DPI and 2540 DPI. The only way to access the service menu is by entering a service code 5 digit number that would constantly change.. That number had to be generated by a Heidelberg service tech with a Disco Manager program. I could do this over the phone with a tech because I used to have the program. It allowed you into the service menu for 1 hour and there would be a flashing yellow light blinking. The only other way to acess the file is to have a Heidelberg DI tech hook up a laptop to the press and then have unlimited acess. They use the laptops to load the press software. I would like to conclude by saying that the test was a good tool when used on presses SM 52 and up. The area of approx 13 inches across does not lend itself to get good profiles in my opinion. Others may diasgree. I found it better to just use the overall percentages adjustments a better way to get ink presettings. The reason I say this is that I found the 12 ink keys that were laser cut were more unstable than the earlier models that used the nylon liner because they were harder to keep clean and working properly. If Heidelberg had adapted a nylon foil for the 12 key system they would have benn further ahead.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back