Help! Cleaning substrates with alcohol or acetone?

UVPrinter

Hello, any suggestions on cleaning substrates is greatly appreciated. I can rub styrene or ultraboard with lint free cloth and denatured alcohol and still get swipe marks that are visible after printing. I can spend 10min cleaning a board and it is hit or miss. The wipe marks are not visible until the ink lays and the image is no longer good to send. Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you

UV Printer,

We have found no good way to wipe sheets with any type of liquid. Only a dry lint free wipe works for us. Are you trying to improve adhesion or remove finger prints?

SK

We have learned that you can only minimize finger prints. Tell your vendors/employees that they have to handle the loose sheets with gloves, cotton works best, Latex/Nitrile can also leave marks. . If you can buy a pallet of material that helps also when it comes to the UltraBoard or GatorBoard buy it in full cases instead of sheet by sheet.

SK

Whay if you we're trying to improve adhesion, what method would work better than cleaning with alcohol?

UV Printer,

No problem, good luck, I know we have spent many frustrated hours printing something only to discover finger prints after it is complete. One other trick I have found that sometimes works, is to increase the amount of ink being put down. But if you are seeing the marks in highlights that doesn't really help.

dkelley,

Contact whoever you buy your ink from, I would bet they have an adhesion promoter. You may see the marks that UVprinter is experiencing though. You can also buy digital grade stock which is material that has a higher dyne level, it has gone through some type of Corona treatment.

SK

Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% works better than denatured for cleaning most substrates. However, you need to polish it out with a microfiber cloth to avoid streaking. Only clean with alcohol if the board is too dirty to clean dry. Invest in a dust removal roller, they pick up more than you would think. Never use any petroleum based cleaning products on Acrylics.

The only way I've found to lose the smears is to literally cake on the iso. like spray it on thick...even pour it on. And wipe with lint free clothes only. Although lately I've been cleaning my boards with Rapid Tac and paper towel and its been doing a really nice job. No problems yet!

Also, not sure hwat printer you have, but if it's an OCE, switch to the IJC258 ink series. You lose a bit ot color gamut (hardly noticeable), but you are left with a matte finish that covers pretty much everything. Those who use it, only dust their boards.

One other solution is to order digital quality substrates. Its pricier, but they come with the plastic adhesive protective sheets so nothing can get onto the surface until you physically remove the sheet yourself.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back