help! newb print finisher-smudged coated cardstock

wentworth

Hi guys,

Im very new to print finishing. I used to get the print shop to finish everything for me as far as trimming and scoring, but have recently bought a manual ream cutter and manual creasing machine to do it myself and save a bit of money. Im currently working on some wedding invitations, printed digitally with all text and graphics in black. But there is still considerable unprinted/white background etc. The cardstock is 300gsm satin coated. Im not sure of the brand. The problem im having is the white areas look a complete mess, scratched, scuffed, finger prints! Im not sure if its from touching the black areas of the print? does digital printing shift/smudge? Any tips on how i can reduce this? do i need to wear gloves or something? Any advice from the pros on how to get through this without ruining them all would be great!

You have to make sure the settings on the machine are right for the stock your running it may not be fusing right this will cause all kinds of trouble.

oh....i have no idea about their machine or settings...I was assuming it was me handling it incorrectly.....although i still think it probably is as ive never had problems when theyve done the finishing for me

Ive had another look at my prints they are all definately scratches & scuffs, no ink smudges. This was a sample so i trimmed it up in my Rotatrim. The full job will be done on a ream cutter.
I think its the surface of the Rotatrim along with pressure from my hands causing it to happen.
I guess the Rotatrim isnt any good for 2 sided designs on coated stock. Hopefully white cotton gloves and extra sheets either side will prevent it. If anyone has any handling tips would love to hear them.

Just curious, what kind of creasing machine do you have? Is it pretty easy and reliable to use?
I'm looking for one to use for mockups and short runs so we don't have to set up our windmill or die cutter to run only 50 sheets.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back