help on choosing new CTP

lfelton

We're about to upgrade our CTP and I'd appreciate any feedback you have on what issues I should be focussing on in my research and which vendors / machinery I should consider. I am considering new and used systems.

I've looked at the Agfa Palladio 2 and it seems a nice machine, but appears to be very limited in terms of the resolution and screening it's capable of.

Our current CTP is limited to 175lpi AM and I'd like to be able to output:-

175lpi AM
200lpi AM
Stochastic

The CTP needs to feed a B3 4 colour and a B2 5 colour (both newish presses with auto plate loading and mid level automation) and we get through a reasonable but not huge number of plates, i.e. very low thousands a month.

Creating a smallish climate controlled and daylight safe room for the equipment is not a problem, but we don't have vast amount of free space.

I also need some help in understanding whether I should be aiming for 20 or 10 micron stochastic as well (we are general jobbing CMYK).

Our current CTP punches in line, but I understand this is much rarer on metal plates. Will I be able to punch plates for 2 different presses from 2 different manufacturers on the same CTP? If we have to punch off line, will that be a huge step back with auto plate loading accuracy?

Our customers appear totally indifferent about environmental matters, but I'm not, so should I be considering “low process” or processless plates? How does that affect my choice?

Sorry to write war & peace, all help much appreciated!

Have a look at the SignaSetter series from Heidelberg.
It can do inline-punching (i think up to two different punches at once), and is probably the most robust and maintenance free machine out there. We use it with the Kodak Thermal Direct plate (processless) and it works great.

Ofcourse you can also do 'normal' plates on it. It also has an optional auto-plate feeder.

Fatboysmart,

Thanks for the referral, I know you meant Suprasetter instead of Signasetter (we had a film setter named Signasetter).

lfelton,

The Suprasetter is rated to 400 line screen and 20 micron stochastic. There are several versions, depending on your needs. How many plates will you do in a day? What make are your two presses?

We also have the violet Prosetter which is rated to 300 line screen.

Both can have punches and automation,

Here is a link.

Heidelberg - Computer-to-Plate Overview

Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the referral, I know you meant Suprasetter instead of Signasetter (we had a film setter named Signasetter).

My mistake... I guess I was thinking of Signa (the software), but you are right, I did mean the Suprasetter.

Hi,
Why don't you look around for Screen PT-R4300 E or S depends on the speed you need. You can install additional punches. For RIP you can take HQ510 RIP and to buy the HDS raster. I think that this choice is better. There is no problem with Thermal Direct plates, but as you know the speed is much lower.
Have a nice day!

A Screen 4000 series sounds like the ideal match for what you are looking for.
If you wish, write to me offline and I can help point you in the right direction to a reputable dealer that actually reconditions these machines (rather than just cosmetic cleaning) and have have a service and support structure to stand behind what they sell. They will even help you evaluate a used machine that you find from a private party.
My e-mail address is...
[email protected]

We use an Accento setter with Azura plates. Are very happy wit the setup. We have 2 inline punches one for each press size and use L50 cassettes, it means we change casette per plate size. The cassettes holds 100 plates at 0.15 or 50 plates at 0.30 thickness. The cassette option was cheaper than fully automatic, and we need to remove slipsheets manually.
The Accento can be loaded manually if I need to remake a plate for the other format from the cassette that is loaded.
(Have had 2 plates stuck in 4 years, but not more than could be fixed with phone support, one due to a silly human error.)

Go for fuji or screen

Go for fuji or screen

There is no better machine then screen or fuji I think is the same. But if you want to sell your prosetter I am interestred

Thanks for all replies. We've gone for a fully automatic Screen 4300S with punching for both our press sizes and Agfa Azura TS plates. Somebody wrote on another thread that these CTPs were quite compact, but I think they must have been talking about another model as it's about 5 meters long! I'll post some pics when it's installed if the site allows me.

lfelton:

Thank you for your confidence in Azura TS.

I'd be interested to hear if your installed reality meets your selection expectations.
Also - how did you choose your plates? Did you run some plate/press tests?

Regards,

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back