HELP! PrePress Solutions PantherPlus Imagesetter

can anybody help me pleaseeeeeeeeee ???

im runing prepress ponther rip on mac version 1.9v2 for some reason this thing has gon crazy and i cant get the film to register, a basic eps file with four spot colours wont hold registration

cheers steve

What recorder are using?
Panther, Panther Pro or Pro46, etc
Most of the time the registration of the PrePRESS recorder was caused by the drive roller.
Try to use you finger to press the rollers, if it is become soft, then the possibility is high. There are other causes, but this is the most common one.

can anybody help me pleaseeeeeeeeee ???

im runing prepress ponther rip on mac version 1.9v2 for some reason this thing has gon crazy and i cant get the film to register, a basic eps file with four spot colours wont hold registration

cheers steve

I had that problem and it was the rollers the rubbers had started to deteriorate had them recoated and OK now.

Need to reformat new HD on Panther VR

Need to reformat new HD on Panther VR

Have the technicians manual but need to know what cable is required to go from mac G4 to the serial debug port and also what program is required to talk to the Panther HD. Regards Anton

Last edited:
Serial Cable

Serial Cable

Have the technicians manual but need to know what cable is required to go from mac G4 to the serial debug port and also what program is required to talk to the Panther HD. Regards Anton

It's better if you find an old Mac computer as an G3 (beige) or older. Those machines have a port named serial (on Mac) its a Round 8 pin port, and the cable is the one used to connects all Mac Printers. The you could access to the Panther Using a program called Microphone.

Bomb 15 error

Bomb 15 error

We are currently getting the bomb 15 error on our Panther Pro Imagesetter. From a prior post it looks as though it might be the Polygon motor? Could anyone elaborate further as to how one might go about checking this (and explain what a polygon motor is). I have little to no experience with these things...it's merely an inherited piece of equipment that we're using but are currently at a standstill until it becomes functional again.

Also if anyone has a technicians manual I would love to have a copy made.

Reply to Jotter

Reply to Jotter

Hi I can email you the full version of the technical manual also the owner manual.
I had a similar problem and it ended up being the hard drive, Regards Anton

Bomb 15 is related to polygon (the part behind the lenses if you open the top cover) or with the laser and all that it involves. In my experience try cleaning first all the optics area, starting from the polygon. You just need an air blower and maybe a soft brush, and rice paper (used to clean camera lenses). Don't remove any screw or any part if you don't know what it does and how to do it, it's very easy to have a uncalibrated system just turning a screw, specially those who have painting DON'T TOUCH THEM!!!. Bomb 15 means the laser is not reaching in a right way to a sensor (SOL), it could be caused by dust, that's why to clean it first. A second test could be increasing the laser exposure (you do that at the RIP, do it in steps of 5) it will not fix the problem, just give us some clues, because if you increase the laser "power" it could reach the SOL in a "right way", but increases the film density too.

polygon bomb 15 error

polygon bomb 15 error

We ended up taking off the top cover as instructed and blowing everything off. It didn't look particularly dusty or anything but we plugged it back in and it works fine now.

Anton Lix, I would still like a copy of the manual if you don't mind. I sent you a private message with my personal email. - Thanks

This dino is giving me some serious headaches!

This imagesetter's main function to produce films for burning screens used on our automatic silk screen press.

For some reason nearly every time I print to this machine it crashes in the last stages of imaging the film. The RIP for this machine is running OS9 and PantherRip, files are sent from ID4 and Quark 8 on a G5 running Leopard, could this be a communication error?

It seems as though changing the print settings themselves in Q8 and ID4 make no difference so It doesn't appear as though I'm outputting incorrectly as OCCASIONALLY it runs just fine after a number of reboots of the RIP and the imagesetter.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated as PrePress Solutions Inc no longer exist and I have yet to find an imagesetter tech who's willing to help.

Do not do anything with computer like rotating the file while imaging. I guess Rip Cable has to be checked. Try another cable if you have one.

Hope this will help.

Farshad

If I understand well the page never ends imaging process, do you receive any error at the rip or at the panther? If you develop the film, how it looks the image, it ends with garbage? The borders of the image look fine or look distorted? The problem is the same if you print just a small 50% screen?

David Riley

David Riley

Hi I can email you the full version of the technical manual also the owner manual.
I had a similar problem and it ended up being the hard drive, Regards Anton

I am going to have to repair some problems with a Panther Pro 46 but have no manual. Could you please email me the tech. service and user manuals.

Thanks,
David

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back