help setting up Epson 9900 for matte paper

wonderings

I have a roll of Outre CB100 matte paper. Had it for years but never had any use for it. It was originally for our old Epson 10600 that has since been replaced with an Epson 9900. Anyways, just not sure what settings to use for this paper. The details on the stock is here: http://www.myoutre.com/pdf/CB100Series_021406.pdf again the paper is CB100.

Not sure what to use at the RIP level for printing on this paper. I tried something yesterday and the ink was a bit heavy causing the paper to wrinkle. These are the options I have in our Fiery XF 6.2.2 RIP:

Best practice would be to setup a custom RIP media setting and ICC profile specific to the media by creating a new linearization, total ink limit, characterization etc.

From your list of installed media settings, I would try “EFI Production Paper 1090 Matt” or “EFI Proof Paper 5120 Matt”.

Stephen Marsh

I agree with Stephen if you're trying to do anything that correct color or being of the highest quality matters. If quality matters you'll also want to switch to matte black (which is already loaded in your printer but you've likely never used it).

If you're just trying to get something that looks decent the recommendations that Stephen made are probably a good place to start, if you switch to matte black you'll have a few more options. Epson Enhanced Matte will be available as an option when you switch to matte black, that's also a good option to try out.

I am only looking for pleasing colour. Have had this roll for years and never used it, we just do not have a client base that wants the thinner matte stock. I did another test today playing with some settings. On the Epson itself when asked, I said it was "enhanced matte". On the RIP I chose Epson Proof paper commercial. I also changed black to print as "ink jet black" as I do not want to switch to the matte black. I have used it for the few times we have printed on canvas, looks fantastic, but wastes a fair bit of ink as it needs to clean out the black line, and vice versa to go back to photo black.

Not sure why Epson setup the blacks this way, seems like a real money grab. Anyways, tried another sample print with the settings I listed above and the print came out much much better.

Thanks for the suggestion Stephen, I will give that a try if we do anymore tests. Waiting to hear back from the customer now if he is ok with the proofs.

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments, much appreciated.

I also changed black to print as "ink jet black" as I do not want to switch to the matte black. I have used it for the few times we have printed on canvas, looks fantastic, but wastes a fair bit of ink as it needs to clean out the black line, and vice versa to go back to photo black.

Not sure why Epson setup the blacks this way, seems like a real money grab. Anyways, tried another sample print with the settings I listed above and the print came out much much better.

I can't seem to find the information about the switch from Photo to Matte black, I have found it in the past. The amount of ink used is really not as much as you may think for the round trip it's only around 4-5ml of ink, it's only the ink in the head that gets exchanged both blacks have their own line running to the head. I'm sure Epson designed it this way because people would complain a lot less about loosing a few ml of ink vs the increased cost of a printhead with an additional channel.

Regardless if you're happy with what you got no need to waste that ink.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back