Help with Magnus 800

Pavel_SPb

Incomprehensible situation. If we send only the plate is 790x1030 (0.3 mm) Magnus works flawlessly. Once sent to the plate 459x525 (0.15 mm), there is a fatal error message (44500 or 44506 or 44501), and after that work is impossible for any type of plates. But if you turn off Magnus for 15-20 minutes, after the switching can again make a plate of 790x1030. Has anyone encountered a similar problem? The replacement of the head? Or the problem may be solved by the service engineer (adjusting the parameters of the head)?

44500 - the exposure head is offline; 44506 - the exposure failed. Head command transporter failure; 44501 - the exposure head is being initialized failure.

Thanks. Pavel.

Hi Pavel,
two questions: is your magnus equipped with Z-stage (moves the head closer to drum when thinner plate is loaded) ;
and where is your plate (GTO one) when error message pops up (on drum, loading platform).
Regards

Hi LoWang,
1) yes, 2) more often on drum.
I don't understand it - yesterday the problem was gone by itself. We did not do anything. This occurs for several months. Service engineer arrives and throws up his hands - we are working. So it was already a few times. He said the work of the head has nothing to do with the transition to a different size plates.
Thanks. Pavel.

Hi LoWang,
1) yes, 2) more often on drum.
I don't understand it - yesterday the problem was gone by itself. We did not do anything. This occurs for several months. Service engineer arrives and throws up his hands - we are working. So it was already a few times. He said the work of the head has nothing to do with the transition to a different size plates.
Thanks. Pavel.

My guess is that there is a problem with cabling - maybe after z-stage movement head resets itself? Maybe the cable ties holds them too tight?
Just a guess....
I would try to move the cables and observe head behavior (with red cheater).

We checked them out and I can not say that the cable ties are clamped tight. Service engineer says: 1) the laser head does not matter what expose plate 2) your laser head is faulty and it should be changed . After that we made about 2000 plates for sm- 102 without a single mistake . But when we do small plates (for sm-52) , then every two days necessarily fatal errors appear on the head ( 44506 , 44501 , 44500 , 38191 , 38158 ) . Work is restored after a reboot Magnus + Magnus-controller. But there is no certainty ... in the future. As I understand it , the serviceability of the head to be detected at startup. When you turn on - the fault is not detected, the plate is loaded onto the drum, edge of the plate is detected and then a fatal error... and only on the plates for 52 cm. "It can not be" said service office and proposes to replace the exposure head. Unfortunately this is not a book of matches - the exposure head only 1.5 years old ... How can you produce a complex technical device so ugly detection system errors?

Hey all. December 5th we re received resumes from Kodak - your laser head defective and require replacing. We were told this is the first time 30 days ago, during this time we did about 2000 plates 790x1030mm and about 500 plates 459x525mm. Kodak invented the self-healing head from the ashes? How many plates on it is still possible to bring before the laser head really stop? What are the assumptions?

Pavel.

You should paste the whole error message not just the numbers as it may serve other users as well.
The errors you get are because of lost communication to the laser head. This does NOT necessarily means the laser is bad or going bad.
On Magnus 800 the common causes of these errors are:
1. thermal head firmware bug causing the laser to get stuck in a reset loop - to fix this you will need a laser firmware upgrade.
2. bad laser cable - control or power - causing the laser to go offline.
3. Short in the wiring causing a general voltage drop - this may be from any wire in the cable track, loading platform, alignment system, UDRC.
In conclusion, this may have various causes and I doubt you will be able to fix it permanently without a qualified (and experienced) technician.

Yes, Nemo, you are right. At first we were confused by a categoriality of statements - "your laser head is faulty and it should be changed".
Now we consider that we found cable damage. To be sure that the reason is eliminated, it is necessary to work successfully 2-4 weeks. I will surely describe the final situation. I think that it will be interesting to those who works with CtP Kodak
Thanks. Pavel.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back