Helvetica Medium unavailable in Tiger/CS3

sprale

I'm having random issues with Helvetica Medium on Intel and G5 Macs running Tiger and Leopard. Files built with Illustrator CS3 using Helvetica Medium will be fine for a while, then randomly the font will be missing for a while, then it will return to normal. There's no reason I can see as to why it works this way, but I've seen it happen on at least two Intel Macs so far.

I could not even guess as to what is causing this....
Got to be system font related?
I would just convert everything to outline from Illustrator in all cases & save out as an .eps
btw what do you use as a font manager?

Fonts are loaded in User>Library (fewest permissions issue here). System Fonts are all the same on these Macs. No fonts in the main Library, MS Office or anywhere else. I do my best to keep a clean house.

I don't know if this is the case but it could be a font book problem? It's possible that you have a duplicate of the font and it's causing it to get confused. This happened with 2 of the guys here at work. They kept on adding fonts from the "Collect" files of other projects and eventually had 6 versions of the same font. And yes we tried the remove doubles :)

They ended up getting a program called Linotype Font Explorer X. It solved their problems. Could work for you too, it's a free program just search it up on Google.

Hope this helps.

Note that InDesign and other software used to equate medium with regular. Problem is the naming of Helvetica. It is a problem of a few legacy fonts. Helvetica, helvetica Neue, Times, Times New Roman, Gill and Franklin Gothic can need extra care to handle. You may need to force awy the system versions to be able to run certain jobs.

There was a blog post: InDesign Font Conflicts - Typblography that explains a bit more.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back