herkules imagesetter issue(NEED HELP)

Trimmer

I have a heidelberg imagesetter linotype hell classic and i work with it almost two years, But the problem that has annoyed me mostly is that with delta Tower, here's how i'll describe my problem that has followed me from the beginning of my work with this imagesetter:
as imagesetter is exposing,for examaple. (cyan is imaging 87%) suddenly stops and gives me this error (ERROR during DELTA Tower configuration) so I have to restart system from the beginning several times to return to the previous situation.and it takes me a lot of time and nerves,
i plead someone to tell me where exactly is the problem and what should i do to fix it!!!

I have attached some photos to help you recognize the problem

Attachments

• delta tower colud not be started (error communication to imagesetter).JPG
    delta tower colud not be started (error communication to imagesetter).JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 280
  • Device rasterbox failed.JPG
    Device rasterbox failed.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 276
  • Device rasterbox is not ready for access yet.JPG
    Device rasterbox is not ready for access yet.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 279
Hallo Trimmer

J am a user of Heidelberg imagesetter Primesetter 74 with delta Tower and Delta 8.0 software version. Sometimes on the past I had also some „Error during Delta Tower configuration” but my troubles were not major. I see that your problem is more serious that mine. I think it is probably a fault of SCSI cable or SCSI socket. Maybe it is any damage - inflexion, deflexion ecc.

With best wishes
Przemek Peszek - Poland

Whenever you have an issue with an imagesetter or platesetter it is best to first run a self test on the imagesetter or platesetter itself (without using the RIP). This will test to make sure that the imagesetter or platesetter can actually completely and properly image a test pattern. I do not know how to output a test target from within the Herk control panel but you may be able to read through your manual or ask your Heidelberg rep how to do this. If the self test works then the imagesetter is probably ok. I say probably because it does not test everything (obviously cannot test communication out to the RIP, etc.) so you don't know if all of the control cards are working within the imagesetter.

Next you need to try outputting a simple job from the RIP. If this works then check your cables, card seating in the computer, etc. to make sure you have a good clean connection.

If the small test file fails from the RIP then you may want to look into replacing or updating the Delta tower. Perhaps clear out your queues and make sure the disk cleanup and disk defragmentation have been run to really give the disk drive a good cleaning. This will optimize performance - but probably will not resolve this issue.

The solution could be . . .

The solution could be . . .

Hi the only test you can do is try to make a low-level format on the internal hardisk on the Delta tower .
To do it you must restar your server, after you see Lino-Raster ID XXX and Seagate ID xxx.
Press ctrl+A if you have one scsi adaptor from Adaptec or F6 , go to the internal scsi card software and make a loe level format . If this won`t work call Heidelberg support. where are you from ?

I hope this could solve your problem . And if you get error during format ,you should try to replace you scsi hard disk .

i formated my delta tower hard drive! but when it start delta control it just says: initializing

I know this isn't directly on topic, but i have a customer with a Hercules running with a Xitron rip. He needs to adjust his exposure but doesn't have a manual. Does anyone have a copy/pdf?

Delta Tower Error

Delta Tower Error

Sounds to me like the tower drive has failed and needs replacing or you have a problem on the rapro board in the tower low level formatting the drive sometimes works but after that it usually means its a hardware problem
ex linohell engineer :)

Last edited:
Delta tower problem

Delta tower problem

Be patient, you have some homework to do.

After more tha 10 years using 2 hercules and one signasetter i learn to haev some patience.

First shut off everything. Unplug and disconect.

I dont nkow the status right now, but i will will tell what i will do if this is a local problem.

1.- Remove the tower, put on a solid table, use a screrwdriver and a allen hex key . remove covers.

2.- Using DRY compresed air ( a small handheld blower will work) try to clean completly the interior of the tower. NMo need to disconetc or remove any inside it. Just clean with air.
You will find the hard disk at the bottom. Just look at it, take note of the brand and model. You may need this information later. Check for anything does not look good.

3.- Put covers again.

4.- Check your scsi cable. Check it carefully. It have cuts, extreemly bended, to much wear? Check the conectors. It is very easy to bend pin. Check with a 5x magnifier. take your time and check that the pins are ok. If not, replace the cable. a faulty cable cause a lot of problems.

5.- Conect the computer and the tower. Conect the SCSI cable.
6.- Turn on the tower. wait a minute.
7.- Will format hard disk again, it is safe. Turn on the computer, dont leet to boot.

a) If you have a Adaptec brad SCSI card (offload or embebed) press CTRL-A get the utilities and make a full low levell format. wait until it finishes. wait, it takes long time, about an hour. It must finish with a OK
Do it again a second time, remember it is safe. If after two time you have no problems the hard disk is OK.
BUT....
If the test fails, no way you have to change the hard disk.

To find a similar hard disk (not new, they were discontinued several years ago) (many years) use eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices looking a hard disk with the information you read before (while cleaning)

b) If you have a diferent adapter use the adecuete procedure.

Turn off and on again, wait ultil PC recognize the scsi bus. You must detect 2 scsi devices:
1.- The hard disk itself
2.- Linotypoe hell tower controler.

If the second is not visible you have a faulty tower.
You can contact a technitian from heidelberg, they have special tools to check the tower using a laptop and a serial interface. Probabyly they will tell you have to change the tower.
No way, replace the tower.

Ok assemble everithing again.
Conect the tower to the filmsetter, conect the tower to the PC.

Turn on filsetter, wait a minute
Turn on the tower wait a minute.
Turn on the PC. Wait ultil it turns on.

Start DELTA and wait. The firs time take a litle longer to start the tower.
At this point it must work fine.

Good luck.
Miguel Sanchez
[email protected]

I do have patience Miguel I have worked as a Field Service Engineer on Linotype and Heidelberg Direct Entry, CTF and CTP Devices since 1974.
I have done many of the things you suggest in your "Homework" but cable problems and removing dust have never solved the problem. Low level format of the drive sometimes works. but usually inevitably it requires the replacement of the Hard Drive or the RAPRO pcb to cure a Delta Tower Initialisation problem.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back