Highwater (Harlequin) RIP/CTP errors

CGUK

Today I was called in to the plant to see if I could work out what was up with our RIP as it was giving various errors as seen below:

Wed 07 Jul 2010 09:22:14: Job Specific Error : Application Error 33328: "Speedmaster 72_092153_1Speedmaster72C00.tkt" in queue "PythonImager" running process 1, "D:\Python\v3.0.0\pythonimager.exe". Message from process: "Error Starting Output. Failed to start exposure: 33328", " Error: e_CoverMonitorSignalled: 20483"

Wed 07 Jul 2010 09:24:58: Job Information job Speedmaster 72_092153_1Speedmaster72C00.tkt: "An error occurred during image exposure.". Error: e_Laser_DeviceBroken: 21767

We use the Highwater Python CTP system and Q2 torrent rip which afaik is a Harlequin re-branded.
We ran the Python self test tool and it came back fine. I thought initially the error was due to a sensor thinking the cover was not closed but I am not so sure now.
Has anyone seen this before or have you any educated guesses as to what could be the issue (beyond the laser actually being broken!)
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi Bill, as it happens we have been on to their support and they thought it may be the laser getting to hot according to the log files I sent (from the test tool) so we switched it off for 30 mins and when we put it back on it was ok - BUT in my experience these things signal impending hardware failure so I am still working with Marlowe Graphics (who took over Highwater) to make sure there is nothing ready to fail. The machine was doing it this morning shortly after being switched on (hence the 7am phonecall when I was still in bed!)

OK. I haven't dealt much with Marlowe yet but the techs at HW were always very helpful.

I never had a laser overheat on a Python. I've seen on a Platinum but the optics are drastically different.

Good Luck.

I believe 2 of the HW engineers and the service manager are all at Marlowe so they should still be able to help :)

o/t I am going to ask them about moving the whole software install to a new machine as we are running it on Windows 2000! The PC is from 2001. It looks a fairly simple procedure but I can't have any downtime at our plant as you know how tight time and margins are in this industry. SO I am confirming with them the procedure. I know you can backup/restore the config using a tool that is provided but I need to read up a bit more on it before starting that project.
I also wondered if it can be run on a virtual server as I have some powerful hardware which could do it fairly well I imagine.

The last time I asked them about that they discouraged me from doing it. But that was several years ago.

I believe 2 of the HW engineers and the service manager are all at Marlowe so they should still be able to help :)

o/t I am going to ask them about moving the whole software install to a new machine as we are running it on Windows 2000! The PC is from 2001. It looks a fairly simple procedure but I can't have any downtime at our plant as you know how tight time and margins are in this industry. SO I am confirming with them the procedure. I know you can backup/restore the config using a tool that is provided but I need to read up a bit more on it before starting that project.
I also wondered if it can be run on a virtual server as I have some powerful hardware which could do it fairly well I imagine.

If anyone is upgrading their PC for Python I would just be aware that trying to jump an evolution step may be a waste of time, in terms of OS spec, XP SP2 is about the safest OS to go with I know issues had been seen on later releases of XP / Vista, If it does work on a virtual server I would be amazed. Software will probably run but the driving of the Python with the CTP1001 card maybe flakey.

To be honest, there is very little benefit of upgrading the PC, performance wise on the python, but you can make use of faster PC by taking the RIP of the Python PC and sticking it on a standalone machine

Today I was called in to the plant to see if I could work out what was up with our RIP as it was giving various errors as seen below:

Wed 07 Jul 2010 09:22:14: Job Specific Error : Application Error 33328: "Speedmaster 72_092153_1Speedmaster72C00.tkt" in queue "PythonImager" running process 1, "D:\Python\v3.0.0\pythonimager.exe". Message from process: "Error Starting Output. Failed to start exposure: 33328", " Error: e_CoverMonitorSignalled: 20483"

Wed 07 Jul 2010 09:24:58: Job Information job Speedmaster 72_092153_1Speedmaster72C00.tkt: "An error occurred during image exposure.". Error: e_Laser_DeviceBroken: 21767

We use the Highwater Python CTP system and Q2 torrent rip which afaik is a Harlequin re-branded.
We ran the Python self test tool and it came back fine. I thought initially the error was due to a sensor thinking the cover was not closed but I am not so sure now.
Has anyone seen this before or have you any educated guesses as to what could be the issue (beyond the laser actually being broken!)
Thanks in advance

If it is working part time, it does sound like a possible peltier failure on the laser module, but it is possible that error message which appears is not the actual issue., but something upstream. If this problem happens again, its worth doing a system status with full eprom settings and checking the laser temp and the 24volts which may give some clues

If anyone is upgrading their PC for Python I would just be aware that trying to jump an evolution step may be a waste of time, in terms of OS spec, XP SP2 is about the safest OS to go with I know issues had been seen on later releases of XP / Vista, If it does work on a virtual server I would be amazed. Software will probably run but the driving of the Python with the CTP1001 card maybe flakey.

To be honest, there is very little benefit of upgrading the PC, performance wise on the python, but you can make use of faster PC by taking the RIP of the Python PC and sticking it on a standalone machine

Optional solution maybe

Optional solution maybe

Hi, have you tried to erase all the Done files? we had a similar error and try everything, even changing server and reinstaling Harlequin RIP, but the only available solution was to erase the processed files who lives in the Done file folder.

Maybe it was satturated and stops the filming process.

Good luck...!

Thanks for all your help. I output System Status report and it was sent to Marlowe who have been very helpful and quick to respond. They said it may be the laser overheating but the temp on it looked ok. The whole system was switched off for 30 mins and a new status report done. It was fine after that but as we had jobs to go on the press I never got a chance to get another look at it. Although it is ok now I am wary there is an underlying issue.

Marlowe Graphics are giving me details of service costs and maintenance contracts too.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back