Hostmann-Steinberg Rapida Process Ink

I am looking for some feedback on Hostmann-Steinberg's Rapida process ink. I used their QS series process for quite some time without any major issues, it always ran very well, released well, and our dot gain was always extremely consistent. I was forced to change a few months ago, being told that the QS series was no longer going to be produced. I am now running Rapida and and my issue is with the black. I can't seem to control it. It never settles down and it swings 20 points in 200 sheets. I'm ready to strangle my rep. he's no help! Any feedback is welcome...

Sounds like an ink / fountain solution emulsion issue. The ink is either too water resistant or not resistant enough. This would cause the symptoms you are experiencing. If your using a 2-step etch / sub combo with RO water, try mixing 3oz of etch and 1oz of sub per gallon. If this doesn't work try switching to a different ink or ink supplier just to see if the problem is resolved. I would recommend Superior Printing Inks Biolocity series.

HS ink

HS ink

We tested the ink for a month it ran well. We had some rub issues in the bindery though.
Balance on press was stable. Pitman 200 A etch & 201A sub. 1800 cond. 1 oz per gallon on sub.
They recently have updated the ink formula, this about 4 th release i think? make sure you have latest version

Yeah, I am aware that Hostmann has taken several shots attempting to get it right. I have also heard that Hostmann is struggling in the US market with their paste inks and have gone through a restructuring process with their management team which has left several of their top technical people out of work. Like I mentioned I have been using HS ink for quite some time and have had excellent success, but over the past 6 or 8 months I have personally seen their product and service go to hell. They have fired my sales rep claiming he wasn't selling enough to justify his salary. The rep that replaced him has limited experience and is very green and I'm sure his salary reflects this. Unfortunately my company is part of the Consolidated Graphics group and this limits me to who I can purchase ink from. My options are Hostmann-Steinberg, Sun Chemical and INX. I recently tried INX but had issues with the process yellow. We could only run about 4000 sheets and the meter roller would load up. We run Komori Lithrones and from what I've heard this seems to be a problem with INX and Komori presses. Any thoughts on Sun Chemical?

If the black is the only problem have you tried adding a heavy body varnish no 3# to 8# to add tack and increase resistance to over emulsification? If this works ask ink manufacture to make you an ink to this spec.

Paul

keep printing........Hostmann is the best fore a Komori Lithrone, I have been printing on Komori Lithrones fore about 11 years. Rapida???????????? why not Resista ore Impression? Rapida is mineralsk and the other two are vegatabilsk made. Rapida also have a bigbrother called Surprize, have you heard about that one. And please.....do not try to add any substances to your ink, it will destroy it. Bigger dotgain, bad trapping and bad rubresistance etc. etc.

hostmann ink cgx

hostmann ink cgx

We run the Hostmann Rapida Ink just switched from the Reflecta Ink that was running very well to the Rapida ink now. I have to admit that when we first tested this ink it seemed a bit harder to control, but once our operators got the hang of things. Wow it sure prints nice. We are able to control this ink like no other. The Hostmann rep originally told us that we would have to run lower water levels and we pretty much blew that off. Finally a couple of our guy's lowered the water levels 45% and WOW. This ink holds color like a dream now. We have noticed also that with this particular ink you can not make big moves with it's because it transfers so well. Where we would have made a move of 4 points up we now make 2 instead and it comes in great. We chalked it up to over compensating on our part. Pricing is in the ball park with all other CGX companies as well INX, and Sun Chemical except you don't have to wait a week for pms inks with them like you do with Sun Chemical. Try adjusting water levels as low as possible and make smaller moves and let me know what you think. Best advice I can give, worked for us.

i to was forced into going to this ink and it does run well with the water ran much lower than the previous series of ink.
for me my black water ran the lowest. if you have not tried this already here a suggestion.
lower water before m/r till scumming and slowly bring it up until you claen up

we were using the rapida optima, then the inkredible reflecta and now the inkredible rapida and it's not bad. dries fast on coated stocks but drytime is aweful on uncoated stocks.

not a bad ink.

Sounds like an ink / fountain solution emulsion issue. The ink is either too water resistant or not resistant enough. This would cause the symptoms you are experiencing. If your using a 2-step etch / sub combo with RO water, try mixing 3oz of etch and 1oz of sub per gallon. If this doesn't work try switching to a different ink or ink supplier just to see if the problem is resolved. I would recommend Superior Printing Inks Biolocity series.

I hear the Biolocity series dries up in the fountain in 20 min. and the magenta tends to strip out on the rollers, even after a clcium wash.:D

I hear the Biolocity series dries up in the fountain in 20 min. and the magenta tends to strip out on the rollers, even after a clcium wash.:D

I think the operator who told that story must have learned to run a press from a 1st grader.....lol..... The last time I looked the Biolocity seies has added new business worth over 6MM in sheetfed process alone. :D If it is doing as you mentioned, I think we need to make all of our inks that way:p

At least it isn't as bad as that Plastic UV ink you are having trouble with.... ;)

Last edited:
Hey, regarding the Hostmann ink both rapida and the new resista. Have you seen any change in dot gains and/or control on press moving from coated to silks/matte/opaques?

We just cannot expect that we switch inks and they will run with the same fountain solution, or press settings. That's were support and good pressman craftmanship plays a major role.

Anyhow, I am not a big fan of Sun. I don't know if it right or wrong to come up and say good or bad things about a company, but their UV/hybrid line didn't leave our pressmen very satisfied, at least in comparison with other inks. This problem was severe mostly on spot colors, where their inks were thick (among other issues)... so I might not be talking on a comparative level. It might be me and the way I addressed them, but my main issue was with the lack of support in dealing and solving any runnability issues... and this is on a comparative level.

I only did a fingerprint with Hostman inks that went smooth in terms of ISO color compliance and runnability. I cannot speak of their support though or their long-term runnability.

I think the operator who told that story must have learned to run a press from a 1st grader.....lol..... The last time I looked the Biolocity seies has added new business worth over 6MM in sheetfed process alone. :D If it is doing as you mentioned, I think we need to make all of our inks that way:p

At least it isn't as bad as that Plastic UV ink you are having trouble with.... ;)

I think the operator was me, and it was 15min. not 20min. I think it was dry out of the can:)

Biolocity has been running great

Biolocity has been running great

We have been using Biolocity for the past six months and have never had the ink dry up in the fountain nor have we had any stripping. This is on a xl105 using Prisco 3451 with alkaless 3000.

How long did you test the Biolocity?

Did you have any Technical people from the ink company present when you ran the test?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back