hot foil (gold) print

1) Can we use any hot foil or must it be FoilTech? I am going to try later today on some foil we have lying around so I guess I will find the answer to that myself.
2) Is there any technique to foil on a full colour digital print without first laminating the base print?
3) Does anyone know if we can take a full colour offset print, then print the black toner on top to foil only that bit?

Just to answer some of my own questions:
1) Generic foil works just fine on a hot roll laminator
2) ???
3) Yet to try but it does work on a normal wet laminated sheet

Foiling on laminator

Foiling on laminator

Only time for quick observations
1...We were not using FoilTech on the MINIBOND. There are a number of suppliers I believe.
2...We were not foiling on a laminated sheet. Altho a laminated sheet would look good and can be done, if you are foiling everything on the sheet it is not needed.. But laminate has a practicle use. IE: it covers the toner that would come off on the laminators hot roller. So to foil just one bit , lamination is neccessary.
3...Yes , that can be done. Only dependant on heat resistance of ink. ie: colour change possible - or sticking to hot roll surface. So in this case laminating not neccessary.
4... To others with laminators. Make sure laminator can take heat required and can control temperature fairly accurately. By over heating and then leaving laminator stationery - ie: not rotating -- could end up very sad. You are at the limit that key components of anchorage to the roller shafts work.
5....Wet laminating? Do you mean laminators using single or two pot water based adhesive? Because you are assumably foiling on the polypropylene or polyester film then it should work. Film needs a receptive surface to toner to work, but not much different to thermal films. Exploding the adhesive water below may be a problem on single pot systems.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back