How are custom folders produced?

ReproElectroProspero

I'm interested in producing custom folders like this:
e8Xv4Hl.png

I currently don't really have the means to cut one of these out. However, I am looking into buying a plotter such as the Graphtec FC9000. I was thinking this could enable me to make the custom contour cut of the folder and manually assemble.
This got me thinking though, I really don't know how these are typically produced. Am I on the right track? Or is there an entire process I need to learn?

Thanks for any tips.

Standard would be litho printed and die-cut which is why they would normally be ordered in larger quantities.
So do you think that I could, in theory, print digitally via a Latex or Inkjet large format on heavy weight paper, and then "die cut" each folder out using a plotter? We have an offset but we generally only run one color through it. Small inplant here trying to moderinize and capture outsourced work.

To be honest, no, it's a non runner. For a start they are typically double sided and laminated. Doubt plotter would cut it. Also just as important is the creasing which isn't easily done by hand. If you could manage it you'd be producing a handful an hour, if that.

We outsource these in a trade house.

To be honest, no, it's a non runner. For a start they are typically double sided and laminated. Doubt plotter would cut it. Also just as important is the creasing which isn't easily done by hand. If you could manage it you'd be producing a handful an hour, if that.

We outsource these in a trade house.
I have a client acting like it's nonsense that we can't create these for them, so I was hoping I could find a way to knock out a run of 50 in house, and send off the large orders to those with the specialized inline equipment that make it cost-efficient. Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not inept for not being able to do it with our current equipment lol. Too bad

I was definitely imagining an odd labor intensive scenario. Print cutsheet folders on a digital press or large format. Add creases in our duplo slitter/cutter/creaser. Die cut trim using a plotter I'm hoping to buy (but am ignorant of its full capabilities). Manually fold and glue folders. Terrible for large runs for sure, but was thinking I could maybe hack it when they want 50 for a conference.

I doubt a cutting plotter could cut them.
Even if it could cut through the card once you have cut through part of it the sheet starts to fall apart.
We have a Zund that could do these easily but they are big bucks.

I have a client acting like it's nonsense that we can't create these for them, so I was hoping I could find a way to knock out a run of 50 in house, and send off the large orders to those with the specialized inline equipment that make it cost-efficient. Thanks for the confirmation that I'm not inept for not being able to do it with our current equipment lol. Too bad

I was definitely imagining an odd labor intensive scenario. Print cutsheet folders on a digital press or large format. Add creases in our duplo slitter/cutter/creaser. Die cut trim using a plotter I'm hoping to buy (but am ignorant of its full capabilities). Manually fold and glue folders. Terrible for large runs for sure, but was thinking I could maybe hack it when they want 50 for a conference.
I tried this once. I thought, I’ll give it a go. I told the customer upfront it was an experiment and they could have the job at cost if they didn’t expect perfection and knew it was an experiment. It took hours and hours to do manually and I never did them again.

I’d have to charge an unreasonable amount of money to do them poorly manually and customers expect better quality for that unreasonable amount of money so it’s a lose-lose for everybody.

I have done very short run like this before but it's VERY time consuming and not using wide format. I run the main front and back covers on Xerox V80 and print the flaps separately and mixture of machine & hand cutting and creasing and then glue them on using strong double sided tape.

The new Veloblades and Duplo flatbed finishers would be very handy for this sort of thing.

A couple of thoughts, a budget way that some of our customers have them in short run is to use a clear sticky corner on the inside to hold the relevant paperwork - no messy with die cutting, flaps etc.
If you are looking to expand your plant on a budget intec do an entry level flatbed cutter (we got the FB8000, the new one out is the FB9000). We do lots of varied short run work on it that we print with a xerox v80, folders, small format boxes, kiss cut stickers, door hangers, plant labels.

Doesn’t BlanksUSA or another company make the pockets with tape on them? So all you have to do is print your folder, crease and then stick the pocket on if I’m not mistaken. Pocket might even be printable as well.

@AP90 and @keith1 are on the right track with Blanks USA. We have used the kits that have the printable pockets to print full bleed images. They come 3up on a sheet and run just fine through our KM C6085. Here's the link to just the printable pockets, and here's the full kit. We just buy the pockets because we can get the 12pt C1S from our regular supplier for less, and center-crease it ourselves.

I don't think the Graphtec plotter would be ideal as it will only cut the outer edges. You really need creases as well to cleanly fold to the final shape.

Thanks for the tips everyone! Special thanks to AP90 and keith1, these items from BlanksUSA seem to be the perfect solution to this problem until I get better equipment. I really appreciate you all taking the time.

I'm interested in producing custom folders like this:
e8Xv4Hl.png

I currently don't really have the means to cut one of these out. However, I am looking into buying a plotter such as the Graphtec FC9000. I was thinking this could enable me to make the custom contour cut of the folder and manually assemble.
This got me thinking though, I really don't know how these are typically produced. Am I on the right track? Or is there an entire process I need to learn?

Thanks for any tips.

You can design custom folders using product design tool. The flawless and intuitive UI of the Online Product Designer gives your customers the ease to customize irrespective of the device they use. Features like ready-templates, artwork, helps them get started instead of having to design from scratch.

Glad to hear how time consuming this is attempting to do these yourself, even when it is a very short run. Making a pocket folder is not a simple process. There is also some good suggestions with BlanksUSA as well. Just keep in mind you will still have digital print cost, waste / scrap plus manual labor costs assembling these into a finished product for your customer. That all adds to the top line price you have sell it at, or cuts into your bottom line margin.

Have you considered a pocket folder trade printer? Admore is one of a handful national companies that do this. That is their speciality, that is all they do. Quantities as low as 50 to start with for 4CP up to whatever quantity your customer desires. Another option is Independent Printing that has folders in a day. On the surface some may think a trade printer is too expensive, but overall is it really more expensive than doing a folder order in house once every 2 - 3 weeks? The time you spend assembling blanks yourself or figuring out to print in house then outsource the converting, can be better utilized selling another order for your shop or producing a more profitable order in your own shop while the folder order is being produced outsourced for you; that you can still make a good margin on. Most importantly, your customer will receive a product they would be proud to hand out to their clients.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back