How do I create a null ICC Profile

roger

We're the proud (?) owners of an HP/Indigo 5500 digital press. HP feels there is no need to provide a 'none' value in the Press Output Profile field in the color management tab of the rip. Their suggestion to my question of 'How do I rip with no color management' is to say that I need to create a null profile in my own profiling program. I'm poking around in Profilemaker but I'm unable to load reference data files into the bottom 'measurement data' area. (my thought being that if I could load same data set into reference and measured, the resulting profile would be null.) Any ideas on how to do this or suggestions on how to create a null profile?

This question is being asked in regards to re-attempting to G7 this beast.

thanks in advance,
Roger

Update...I have tried loading a devicelink profile made with same profile as source and destination with separation as unchanged. Rip barfs when I send a file through a workflow using it though.

Last edited:
Whenever the same profile is loaded for the source and destination, no conversion should take place. I believe that is how I profiled our Indigo 5500. Also, I did not get a positive answer from the HP tech I spoke to about where the device link goes. I got the answer from the GMG/HP Swop application data sheet, and it goes in the CMYK input profile spot, and the press output profile is ignored. If that is where you put the devicelink, it could be that the rip doesn't like a null devicelink. can you test the null device link in photoshop CS4?

Bret

HP feels there is no need to provide a 'none' value in the Press Output Profile field in the color management tab of the rip. Their suggestion to my question of 'How do I rip with no color management' is to say that I need to create a null profile in my own profiling program.

We run a indigo 5000. Simply selecting "none" as the CMYK and RGB Input profile prevents any color management from occurring, other than spot color conversion. Does this not work the same on the 5500?

Hi Mike,

Yes, I believe you are correct. (plus the prod flow user guide says this too.) I have also since found the GMG/HP SWOP application data sheet which provides some more information on how to use a devicelink profile in the CMYK input profile to get G7.

thanks for the reply!

Roger

I have also since found the GMG/HP SWOP application data sheet which provides some more information on how to use a devicelink profile in the CMYK input profile to get G7.

You can also apply traditional G7 Curves to the dot gain LUTs...but more color accurate to the Gracol char. data when using profiles.

We run a indigo 5000. Simply selecting "none" as the CMYK and RGB Input profile prevents any color management from occurring, other than spot color conversion. Does this not work the same on the 5500?

That's odd, I just checked and there is a "None" option in the input profile section. Maybe I was just looking at the output section.

Bret

Null ICC Profile

Null ICC Profile

Just curious here for my own interest. Would you then output using the Linear LUT, take measurements from there and then create a new LUT?

We've been toying with the idea of trying to match up our work printed on our 4 colour Komori and thought that this was the best approach.

Just curious here for my own interest. Would you then output using the Linear LUT, take measurements from there and then create a new LUT?

We've been toying with the idea of trying to match up our work printed on our 4 colour Komori and thought that this was the best approach.

That's the easiest way. You can also utilize a LUT and build on top of it, though it's a bit more work. To match your press, it's best to create a profile of each device (the press and the Indigo) and then color manage in the RIP. You can set it up as a hot folder. I've done it to proof heatset newsprint and it does a pretty good job.

Null ICC Profile on HP5000

Null ICC Profile on HP5000

Hello,

I was under the impression that on cmyk you have a 'none' selection for input but with rgb it was necessary to pick the 'sRGBLinkGlossExp05.icc which is a null to output profile HP5000GlossExp05.icc the combination of which gives you a null effect.

Comments please.

Thanks,

David Egolf

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back