How do I intergrate GMG ink optimisation software into my Prinergy workflow?

Hello all,

We have been researching Ink Optimisation software & think we might go with GMG, we have not purchased yet so if anyone can advise why we should/shouldn't go with GMG that would be great.

If we go ahead with GMG can anyone advise how this will work through a Prinergy workflow? I think it would need hot folders & RBA's set in place for it to work on the fly.

Has anyone out there currently got this set up?

How well does it work?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Karl

Hello all,

We have been researching Ink Optimisation software & think we might go with GMG, we have not purchased yet so if anyone can advise why we should/shouldn't go with GMG that would be great.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Since you are using Prinergy (which is compatible with ICC device link profiles), have you evaluated the option of using ICC device link profile for ink optimization right into your workflow?
You just have to select the device link profiles in the Refine process. Very simple.

Creating ICC device link profile for ink optimization, you need specialized tool like PerfX Device Link Proâ„¢.

Louis

Thanks Louis

I have my concerns on the quality of the seperations, we need the seperations to be extremely good with little or no affect to the overall appearance of the image.

Would you say this was a good method of working?

Karl

Thanks Louis

I have my concerns on the quality of the seperations, we need the seperations to be extremely good with little or no affect to the overall appearance of the image.

Karl
Hi Karl,
Yes, device Link profiles made with PerfX Device Link Proâ„¢ allows to get the "extremely good" results your are looking for.
If you have any test image you would like to try, let me know!
High end magazines, commercial printing and newspapers are already using such workflow for ink saving, right into their existing RIP workflow like Prinergy.

Louis

Hi Karl,

I've posted an 8 part discussion on this topic in my blog. The first parts starting April 6, discuss the technical background, and the last two parts - 7 and 8 (April 13 and April 14) provide ideas as to how to evaluate the various vendor offerings including suggestions for testing them.
Since I'm not affiliated with any vendor, this info can be used to evaluate any proposed GCR reseparation solution.

my blog is here: Quality In Print

best, gordon p

Hi Karl,

I've posted an 8 part discussion on this topic in my blog. The first parts starting April 6, discuss the technical background, and the last two parts - 7 and 8 (April 13 and April 14) provide ideas as to how to evaluate the various vendor offerings including suggestions for testing them.
Since I'm not affiliated with any vendor, this info can be used to evaluate any proposed GCR reseparation solution.
my blog is here: Quality In Print
best, gordon p

Hi Gordo,

I’ve read your blog (articles) about GCR and it is very good!
I agree with your suggestions for testing ink optimization/GCR solutions. This is the way we do it.

Louis

Hi Gordo,
I’ve read your blog (articles) about GCR and it is very good!
I agree with your suggestions for testing ink optimization/GCR solutions. This is the way we do it.
Louis

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comment and especially for the endorsement!

best, gordo

Hi Karl,

Since you are using Prinergy (which is compatible with ICC device link profiles), have you evaluated the option of using ICC device link profile for ink optimization right into your workflow?
You just have to select the device link profiles in the Refine process. Very simple.

Creating ICC device link profile for ink optimization, you need specialized tool like PerfX Device Link Proâ„¢.

You should consider that not every element one could encounter in a PDF can be converted by a DL-Profile but might be converted using the special solutions like GMG Ink Optimizer or Alwan Colorhub.
And having one element converted and another one not is a recipe for disaster ;)

For special elements/objects that will lead to problems using DL-Profiles but might work with special solutions:
- DeviceN-based object with 1-4 channels out of Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Black
- DeviceN-based object with 5 or more channels and 1 or more of C/M/Y/K
- indexed pictures in CMYK or any of the above
- several gray images on top of each other, each overprinting and as a DeviceN-colorspace C/M/Y/K
- smooth shades as DeviceCMYK or DeviceN ... see above ;)
- 16bit images

I don't want to say that DL-Profiles don't work - after all we are using them to reduce ink coverage and convert between different output intents - but that you should be prepared to check the job afterward for shortcomings or failures :)

For special elements/objects that will lead to problems using DL-Profiles but might work with special solutions:
- several gray images on top of each other, each overprinting and as a DeviceN-colorspace C/M/Y/K
- 16bit images

Could you elaborate on these?
"- indexed pictures in CMYK or any of the above" Do you mean indexed mode? How do you create a CMYK indexed picture? CS3 won't do it.
"- 16bit images" do printers really encounter 16bit images in their work? I believe that when going from 16 bit RGB to CMYK - 16 bit becomes 8 bit. So I'm guessing that 16 bit CMYK is a non issue.
What exactly do you mean by DeviceN-based object? Can you describe more clearly or post examples that we can look at?

thanks, gordon p

You should consider that not every element one could encounter in a PDF can be converted by a DL-Profile but might be converted using the special solutions like GMG Ink Optimizer or Alwan Colorhub.
And having one element converted and another one not is a recipe for disaster ;)

- 16bit images

I don't want to say that DL-Profiles don't work - after all we are using them to reduce ink coverage and convert between different output intents - but that you should be prepared to check the job afterward for shortcomings or failures :)

Hi Toronar,

Are you saying that the problem is the ICC device link OR the RIP workflow? This is very different.

Rip workflow using Adobe Print Engine should handle many of the issues you’ve listed. There are always exceptions, even for the solutions you’ve listed above.

The other solution could be Callas pdfToolbox 4.2, which works very well with devicelink profiles.

Louis

"- indexed pictures in CMYK or any of the above" Do you mean indexed mode? How do you create a CMYK indexed picture? CS3 won't do it.

Yes, indexed mode. Any InDesign CS version should do it (and Distiller) if there are 256 or less distinct colors in an image. Even Acrobat's PDF-Optimizer should convert any image with 256 or less distinct colors to indexed mode.
I got bitten by that one ... converted a customer-supplied PDF to a lower TAC. One picture was converted, but right beside the picture was another one that was indexed. Too bad both had the same color at the edge where they touched and the converted one looked a bit different after the conversion (100% M got converted to 95% M,) which left a visible edge.

"- 16bit images" do printers really encounter 16bit images in their work? I believe that when going from 16 bit RGB to CMYK - 16 bit becomes 8 bit. So I'm guessing that 16 bit CMYK is a non issue.
What exactly do you mean by DeviceN-based object? Can you describe more clearly or post examples that we can look at?

Definately. Attached is a PDF with all examples sans 16bit images.
I can't describe everything using the right terms, I am sorry for that. With DeviceN I meant objects that use spot-colors. If I remember correctly these were done with DeviceN in the postscript days and NChannel in a PDF. I wrote NChannel in the example PDF ;)

"DeviceN-based object with 1-4 channels of CMYK" <- a rectangle which consists of 1, 2, 3 or 4 different "spot colors". The "spot colors" are one of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow or Black. See the first line of rectangles in the example PDF.

Oh and thanks for your blog Gordo, excellent information and topics - well written and insightful.

Louis Dery:
I only have experience with Heidelberg Prinect (+Toolbox), Onevision Speedflow and AGFA Apogee X.
All of these support Devicelink-Profiles, but none convert any of the above special objects.
GMG Ink Optimizer could convert all examples, Alwan Colorhub struggled with pictures that contained CMYK+spot colors.

Attachments

• devicelink-test.pdf
    895.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
I thought ColorFlow was supposed to have GMG/Alwan-competing ink-optimization technology built in. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks toronar,

I'm forever forgetting about conversion to index color when PDFs are created.
And thanks for the PDF with examples, and for the comment about my blog.

gordon p

my print blog here: Quality In Print

Last edited:
CMYK Index images in PDF

CMYK Index images in PDF

Hi Gordon,

Oh, how I wish your were wrong ! Unless the CS3 you speak of is Photoshop CS3 - but hardly anyone creates the final realy to print PDF from Photoshop. Designers and publishers place images into things like Adobe InDesign CS3 and then (hopefully) export directly to PDF using the Adobe PDF Library, but even if they didn't (and print to PostScript and Distill) you still can get Indexed RGB or Indexed CMYK images in your PDF - and there is no setting you can change to stop that from happening !

If you happen to be placing any normal RGB or CMYK image that could be represented with 256 distinctly different pixel values, lets say - a picture of an orange on an orange background - when you export to PDF, they get indexed - ALWAYS.

need an example PDF ? --> Multi_bit_all_in_one_target_pdfx.pdf

ftp://Scans:[email protected]/indexed/Multi_bit_all_in_one_target_pdfx.pdf

if this link for some reason does not work for you;

FTP host: ftp.ioflex.com/

User name: Scans

Password: G4-Tiff

Directory: indexed

File: Multi_bit_all_in_one_target_pdfx.pdf

Near the center of this PDF (third row down) are two images - the Greytag/Macbeth Color Checker Color Rendition Chart (by Bruce Lindbloom). While both were absolutely 32 bit CMYK image files when imported into InDesign, when this is exported to PDF/X-1a, (or a NON - PDF/X PDF, like "High Quality" setting) - while the images are still CMYK - they are now Index Color space.

Please note that while other images may have been (and have labeled that suggest) they are 8 bit and 24 bit, when you export to PDF/X-1a, the Adobe PDF Library converts them as well - in some cases, an 8 bit greyscale becomes DeviceN - and (of course) a 24 bit RGB image is converted to 32 bit CMYK.

This test file is NOT about testing any color management workflow - I created this test as an example file of issues for people who want to test their CMYK to CMYK conversion solution - for example, if you want convert a CMYK PDF into a different GCR CMYK PDF.

Some workflows or approaches sometimes fail to address images in certain conditions - this PDF does NOT cover all of them BTW, so do not think you are totally safe if you can convert all of the images in this PDF, but this PDF does contain several common image types.

I think perhaps there should be an effort to create a standard test suite for this - anyone on the forum from GWG ?

Michael Jahn
Slightly used PDF Evangelist
Simi Valley, California

I thought ColorFlow was supposed to have GMG/Alwan-competing ink-optimization technology built in. Can anyone confirm?

This summer, ColorFlow Software will be released, and at the end of the summer the Ink Optimization option for ColorFlow will be available. ColorFlow software is fully integrated with Prinergy and allows a fully automatic color managed workflow.

Regards,
Dave Herder
Subject Matter Expert, Color
Kodak Graphic Communications Group

Originally Posted by pmhapp "I thought ColorFlow was supposed to have GMG/Alwan-competing ink-optimization technology built in. Can anyone confirm?"

Answered with: "This summer, ColorFlow Software will be released, and at the end of the summer the Ink Optimization option for ColorFlow will be available. ColorFlow software is fully integrated with Prinergy and allows a fully automatic color managed workflow."
Regards, Dave Herder

By not answering the question I guess that confirms GMG/Alwan is being used. Good that a solution is finally coming forward though.

J.

I'm not sure I understand your statement, J. The original question was "I thought ColorFlow was supposed to have GMG/Alwan-competing ink-optimization technology built in. Can anyone confirm?

ColorFlow does not "use" GMG/Alwan, it is its own color management solution within the Kodak Unified Workflow product line.

I hope that clears up any misconceptions.

Regards,
dave

GMG has PDF instructions describing how you can integrate InkOptimizer with Prinergy. If you still need it pm me and I will give it to you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back