How do I know what version to open with CS'ssss

prepressguru

Hey Gang

So we now are supporting 4 versions of Creative suit. CS, 3, 4 ,5 and the much loved 5.5.

We try as much as possible to open the file with the correct version but it is a tedious task to try and open in each version until you get it right. Also I have noticed some operators opening in the wrong version and up saving to that version. A habit I need them to break.

I know this is a disaster waiting to happen. Is there a better way to do this?

p

If you used preflight software such as Markzware or similar, it would tell you what version created the file and a whole lot more. Google for it.

Al

or just open .ai file in a text editor 1st. There you can see what version the file is made in.

What DCurry said. We are using Soxy and it takes the mystery out of of knowing which CS to open.

Best regards,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

May i ask, what is the point of trying to match up the file with the version? All older versions will open in the newer version. So what's the reason?

We also use Bridge to determine what the creation version is. We then create a sub-folder such as CS5, CS5.5...whatever. That way the next operator knows what to do. In some cases, we get files for the same job from different sources and have to manage the job in separate versions–lots of fun there.

The reason for staying true to the document's creation is FONTS–or more specifically the differences in how InDesign versions selects the font family and style (regular, book, etc.).

If an "older" document is opened in a "newer" version you can get a font substitution that is often barely detectible on screen but can cause big problems down the road. The problem lies in font name conflicts which occur in InDesign and cause some fonts that are available to the system to not show up in the font menu. Awesome, I know.

It will appear that you have the correct font and style selected, but it is actually something else. If you want the technical explanation read this:
InDesign Font Conflicts � Typblography

Even though this thread was started in 2008, it still holds true because of all the different versions still in use out there.

One other reason for keeping docs in their original version...many of our clients want final downloads for their asset management systems. They are not happy if we supply them back with something they can't open.

Hope this helps.

I checked out InDesignProxy but looks like soxy is the upgrade to it.
I will have to see how the bridge suggestion works as well.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated and good to know I am not the only one dealing with this CS mess.

p

The problem lies in font name conflicts which occur in InDesign and cause some fonts that are available to the system to not show up in the font menu.

The Creative Suite uses its own font rendering engine. From CS2 to CS3 (I think) Adobe made changes to the font rendering engine. That was the last time I heard of that happening.

FlightCheck

FlightCheck

I would really recommend, and not only because I work for Markzware, that you download the free 30-day version of FlightCheck:

FlightCheck Demo - Free 30 Day Trial of Markzware Preflight

FlightCheck is a stand-alone app, extremely fast and can check not only InDesign files, but also Illustrator, Photoshop, PDF, Quark, image types, etc. Also, it can package all fonts and images, which is very handy for non-InDesign layouts like Illy and psd files, which do not have built in Package features in the CS app. It can quickly tell you which version the InDesign file was created in or last saved in, as is your request here.

Friendly Regards,
David Dilling
Markzware
The Makers of FlightCheck

Last edited:
We have been using the Bridge method of idenifiying the version creative suite. But noticed at times bridge will report the version of indesign as say version 7 (CS5) but the file is actually version 6 (CS4).

Anyone else notice this?

p

1. Click and drag Indesign file icon onto the Text Edit icon
2. Type CreatorTool in the find field
3. Click Next
4. Version of Indesign is displayed on the CreatorTool line

One of the top script writers at the InDesign Forums wrote a script last week to identify the version of an ID file. It works in versions CS3 and up.
Run the script (from any version of ID above CS3) and it identifies the native file version level. It is not a replacement for Soxy, but it is without cost.

Adobe Forums: [Ann] Identify Your InDesign File

Ditto, Bridge method doesn't work consistently if the workstation has CS5 installed.

@pDan
Thanks for the script link. This does work. Although for $19, Soxy seems like a better choice if identifying file version is a daily challenge.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back