How do you deal with stress?

otherthoughts

Prepress is stressed out by the pressroom.

The pressroom is stressed out by everything and everyone.

Sales is stressed out because they are at the mercy of everyone who is trying to meet their job specifications.

The customers are stressed out because they have to trust those that they do not trust.

Management is stressed out by customer complaints, employee complaints and financial disaster.

Preflight is stressed out by ignorant customers that they have to educate day after day, and deadline pressures.

Suppliers are stressed out by customer demands and questions that they do not know the answers to.

The homeless guy panhandling in pedestrian traffic, is stressed out by having to beg.

Everybody is stressed out by something.

What do you do, to deal with the stress and how happy are you with your method? How well does it work for you?

Personally, I have found that patting someone on the shoulder who is stressed out and telling them "I know, I know, what can I do to help" works very well to reduce my stress.

But that's just me.
otherthoughts

I try to disconnect. I don't suppress emotions, I just put them aside. I remain rational and attempt to logically address one problem at a time. Be methodical in finding solutions. Eliminate ways to correct the problem, one way at a time. If you take a deep breath and focus on ways to resolve a problem, the stress will dissipate. Some vent their frustrations in hopes others will sympathize. The expression "misery loves company" comes to mind. That may be good for the moment, but unless you follow it up with a positive attitude, nothing will be resolved!

Good luck and great topic. ;)

I will take a 'breather' throughout the day. I also encourage others in my department to do the same.. Spend some time away, read a book, pray, walk. etc. I also encourage others to not to think about the problems too much.. Its a challenge but can be met

Good thoughts

Sounds like the company has problems, and a company like that will not last that long. I was at a company that was making me stressed and when I left for another job, the company closed down 5 months later (poor managment).

I just refuse to get stressed out about work. My motto:

I work to live, I don't live to work.....

At 3:00, my day is done and I don't think about it again until 7:00 a.m. the next morning.

I just refuse to get stressed out about work. My motto:

I work to live, I don't live to work.....

At 3:00, my day is done and I don't think about it again until 7:00 a.m. the next morning.

Ditto... Couldn't agree more! I enJOY my work, but I don't obsess over it. Some do, and they're among the dullest people I know.

Sounds like the company has problems, and a company like that will not last that long. I was at a company that was making me stressed and when I left for another job, the company closed down 5 months later (poor managment).

Might be true Darth, but in reality, the Newspaper Business is tough and been stressful or can be stressful for alot of people. I've been in the Newspaper Business for over 25 years, but I have learned to push stress aside. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to do what I do.

I like to refer to my wife on that issue. She works in a hospital emergency room. The potential for people to die over a mistake makes printing seem calm. We both have a passion for things outside of work to relieve our stress. Usually a healthy challenge like skiing, bicycling or hiking.

I like to refer to my wife on that issue. She works in a hospital emergency room. The potential for people to die over a mistake makes printing seem calm.

I like this.
Everybody should calm down about and think of this.
Printing is just a job.
If you don't print something today, after all, nobody dies.

I've been retired for several years now.

When I retired from the workforce, I retired from the stresses it brought as well. The level of stress I'm faced with now is, deciding whether or not to shave each day.

The statements I listed regarding stress in my initial post were sourced from my own past experiences and the threads/posts I've read on this forum.

When I was 4 years old, I was naturally stress free. Not a worry in the world had been saddled upon me. The notion of responsibility was completely foreign to my consciousness. That is what stress free really is.

The point I am making here is that oftentimes one cannot gauge the amount of stress one is burdened with until one is relieved of it.

The workplace is just one of many possible sources of stress. For example;

Leaving your workplace in order to contend with the rush hour traffic, followed up by some petty squabbling with a family member when you arrive back home, succeeded with any worries you may have over some indebtedness you feel ill equipped to contend with, and finally drifting off to sleep with your head upon the pillow thinking about the state of the economy and the haircut your 401K account took.

If you had Zero stress when you were 4 years old, how much stress do you have now? What makes it better? What makes it worse?

Regards
otherthoughts

Shiatsu (Japanese massage)

Also the weightroom.

Also quitting a lousy job does wonders to alleviate stress. It's only money.

It's tough not to get stressed with people breathing down your neck. It's a giant puzzle really. Focus on your part of the puzzle and do the best you can with what you've got.

Not always easily done though. So when I want to decompress I hit the gun range with my trusty .45, two boxes of ammo and a silhouette target. Once I'm out of ammo and I want a real treat then it's off to enjoy a good single malt and let the rest melt away.

break it all down.. dont turn a small problem into a big one and break big problems down into manageable pieces.. then work thru them with consistent clear thinking.. charging at problems like a bull at a gate just gets you a broken f**kin gate.. and above all remember its not the end of the world!

I just go with the flow - you can't please everyone.
I like being in printing but someday hope to switch to what I really want to do - win the lottery. But if that doesn't help, I lust fire up the HOG and go for a nice cruise it relieves all my stress just riding and not thinking about business.:D

my wife shared with me the following website. www.fmylife.com it will make you feel better about your life. I check it once a week or so.

rbailleu,
No doubt!

We are all bestowed with the "Minus" touch, now and then. The "Minus" touch is the exact opposite of the "Midas" touch. With the Midas touch, everything that we touch, turns into Gold. With the Minus touch, everything that we touch, turns into Feces.

On those days when we are saddled with the Minus touch, surely your link could help us to cheer up and diminish the chance of activating our "Rectic" nerve's as well!

The Rectic nerve is the nerve that runs from our Retina's to our Rectum's and gives us that crappy outlook on life:D

Best Regards
otherthoughts

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back