How many colors can be printed?

Craig

Someone actually asked me how many colors can be printed from the CMYK color space. I have no clue....anyone know???

In theory, around 10,000,000 shades can be obtained with 4 inks. Since the CMYK has limitations, all these shades are compressed into the CMYK gamut. To make a long story short, none of these 10,000,000 shades will be a bright orange, a limy green or a down-deep purple. So the question is tricky in that sense. Many shades but a very “ordinary” gamut in the end.

kind of depends on what you call a distinct color if you have 256 shades of each of the 4 colors
thats 4.3 billion colors again some limitations may apply. not valid with any other offer.

I've always found it beneficial to use a gamut viewer to help illustrate the gamut of any given device. I use ColorThink Pro to do gamut comparisons of different color spaces using ICC profiles. It's very graphic and easily understood by sales people, CSR's, and clients. You can even drag images into the gamut plot and it will plot points of the colors in the image showing out-of-gamut colors - very useful!

I see you have digital printing device as your profile picture

I see you have digital printing device as your profile picture

I guess I just wanted to point out that as all CMYK output devices are not equal, you may discover that when compared to many offset heatset printing press work, that - depending on the vendor and the condition of the device, the amount of color difference may vary quite widely.

Hope this helps.

I think a round about number of 10,000,000 will do just fine! Thanks for all the info guys!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back