How much apply Creep?

printPlant

HI.
I have 64 pages saddle stitch book which is imposed with Preps v6.2 but i want to creep this book. Preps allow me the creeping method but preps have three option for creeping (inner, outer, both).

Can anybody suggest me that which one i select in those options it is suitable for this job and
please explain me about these functions.

How much creeping apply for 64 or above pages. What should use automatic value for creeping or manual.

Last edited:
Hi, 2 methods:
A - mesure 32 sheets of same paper you're going to print
B - math, (numer of pages/4)*paper thickness. e.g. (64/4)*0,01 where 0,01 is the thicknes of a 100 gsm coated paper
For the Inner, outter or both creep, you have to analyze the job and make a decision, if the central page is not a double page image you can use "Inner" 'cause it move all the pages with the biggest difference in the middle. "Outter" is the opposite, it spread the cover pages.
"both" makes a little bit in both ways.

If you have crossover images throughout the book, you should try checking the Scale button. By doing so, the pages don't move. Instead, they are horizontally scaled to achieve the desired result (it's very minute so I wouldn't worry about anyone noticing the anamorphic scaling.)

Most generally we Creep "In" so the outer page margins and page number spacing look uniform once the booklet is face-trimmed. The most foolproof way to get an actual number is to fold and stitch the appropriate number of sheets of the actual paper and drill a hole in the finished product. Measure the distance of the inner hole to the spine on the outer sheet and the inner sheet, subtract to get the total creep amount. Divide by the number of sheets minus 1, then enter that as a negative number for creep in per page. (Some applications might use the total creep and do the math for you, so it depends on the application) There might be a more scientific way to do it, but we have never had one bounce in the bindery from having poor margins.

Last edited:
My question is Preps related. Advice should be preps related.
PLEASE read again my problem. I want to complete this task automatically with Preps options.
has Preps some bugs in it therefore we don't use creep automatically. Why we prefer manual creep.
Can not preps automatically calculate the creep.

Last edited:
as long as your stock is defined correctly preps will honour your settings and apply creep correctly, fully automated. don't see where your issues are?

My question is Preps related. Advice should be preps related.
PLEASE read again my problem. I want to complete this task automatically with Preps options.
has Preps some bugs in it therefore we don't use creep automatically. Why we prefer manual creep.
Can not preps automatically calculate the creep.

OK - Inner and manual, if you want the most accurate for your paper and process. What I was getting at applies to most apps. I did read your problem - Preps has no clue how the folding and stitching equipment works in your plant, nor does it know the caliper of the sheet you are printing for your booklet. Sometimes with automation, you must take what you get or be willing to have manual interaction.

Let me throw a twist in here though it not always applies. Prepress is over my head in regards to how you make adjustments for creep but your fold configuration can make a difference in creep. Common practice in the Bindery helps make some conformity. An example if you are running 16 page signatures try to lay them out and process them consistently. Inconsistent layouts that create different folding configurations in Finishing can have an affect on creep. This will typically not show up on a low page count Saddlestitch book but say a 64 page book on 50lb. offset could have different creep depending on which fold plates you use and some other factors.

Call me crazy but I have seen jobs go back to press because of this.

Good luck,
JW

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back