How much toner/consumables do you keep on hand?

New guy here. I work at a small print shop and I have been printing digital for nine months.

I have a Xerox 700, 770 and 4127. I basically keep as much supplies as will fit on the small shelf in my workstation -- eight of each CMYK and mono toner, spare fusers, plenty of drums, etc. So anywhere from six to eight weeks worth of supplies.

If my shelf were bigger I'd probably keep more. Am I hoarding or is that the norm?

New guy here. I work at a small print shop and I have been printing digital for nine months.

I have a Xerox 700, 770 and 4127. I basically keep as much supplies as will fit on the small shelf in my workstation -- eight of each CMYK and mono toner, spare fusers, plenty of drums, etc. So anywhere from six to eight weeks worth of supplies.

If my shelf were bigger I'd probably keep more. Am I hoarding or is that the norm?

I'd say you were hoarding, but if you can afford to keep that much money on the shelf you're obviously doing something right, good luck to you.

I have 19 years in the Biz...and here are my "2 cents" worth.

1. Keep 3 rotating fusers and 1 New Unused Boxed up
You will get at least 3 to 4 times more use out of each fuser ...if you
Have one for each of your 3 main paper sizes...that you use the most.
This might be, 8.5 X 11.0 , 11 X 17 and 13 X 19

2. Keep one or two full set of drums on hand

3. Keep 4 complete sets of CMYK

4. Also, 2 extra black and 2 Extra yellow
black and yellow you will use the most of...and can sometimes go into back order from Xerox or your supplier.

This was our minimum when we were running our Xerox machines.

I have 19 years in the Biz...and here are my "2 cents" worth.

1. Keep 3 rotating fusers and 1 New Unused Boxed up
You will get at least 3 to 4 times more use out of each fuser ...if you
Have one for each of your 3 main paper sizes...that you use the most.
This might be, 8.5 X 11.0 , 11 X 17 and 13 X 19

2. Keep one or two full set of drums on hand

3. Keep 4 complete sets of CMYK

4. Also, 2 extra black and 2 Extra yellow
black and yellow you will use the most of...and can sometimes go into back order from Xerox or your supplier.

This was our minimum when we were running our Xerox machines.

Sounds Like Pretty Good Advice . . . . :)

Our consumables our usually next day delivery, we dont keep huge stocks. If Xerox knew you had all that they wouldn't be happy!

AjR

4 odd cmyk toners, plus 2 extras of black....
2 spare fusers, 2 sets of drums seems to be enough....
most of our consumables are delivered same day so we're never really bothered about it that much....

Usually 4 to 6 of each color, 2 Webs, 5 Waste Toner Boxes, 4 to 8 Charge Corotrons. All other parts are ordered by the tech and kept in the supply cabinet.

We keep two to four of each color toner being mindful of yellow and black as PrintingFools suggested, three color drums, one black drum, one fuser and one to two waste toner bottles. We also have a bottle of Xerox Formula A for cleaning and rejuvenating the feed rollers in drawer six along with a spare set of rollers.

Shouldn't matter how many you have but how long they last. When our x800 goes down and we have to move all production color to the C75 I can go through 1-2 bottles per day of each toner.

I also have two 4127's and I have an annual job that require a new toner bottle every 2 hours per machine. The print is not images just fine text for the record.

If I only carried 2-3 bottles of each I would be SOL. Toner takes about 4 business days to reach me, I run 7 days a week so I need enough toner to last me at least 6 working days not including any holidays so I keep 10 days worth to be on the safe side.

jG24DmE.jpg

This is what we stock for toner. I also have a separate shelf for our Nuvera and x800 HFSI.

dang. that's like a grocery store. we don't have the volume that a lot of you have, so i try to stay two-deep on toner and twice that on drums and fusers. they have started getting really picky about it all now...

I also have two 4127's and I have an annual job that require a new toner bottle every 2 hours per machine. The print is not images just fine text for the record.

That's basically my main concern -- huge runs that eat up toner. I finished 4000 books two weeks ago. The job was short notice with a quick turnaround. I went through 18 boxes of toner in two days. If I didn't stockpile, one rush job could do me in.

I basically keep 2 to 4 in black, and 2 of each CMY, but it usually ends up being 1 of each. I guess it all depends on how quickly you are going through these. We get our Xerox supplies in 2 days, so if I know a big job is coming I order right away. I can only think of a handful of times were we got stuck with out toner, but even then our rep found some for us from another print shop and got us going again.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back