How to add a binding margin in Acrobat Pro?

bcr

Can anyone explain to me how I can add a binding margin to a document using preflight in Acrobat Pro?

At present I get my make ready software to do this but I wanted to see if I could already do it in Acrobat Pro.

Current workflow is:

- Multiple documents of various sizes combined into single PDF.
- Preflight - Scale to A4 or A5
- Total Flow - add 5 or 10 mm binding margin

Sometimes we're printing duplex - sometimes single sided - so do I need different preflight fixups for this? E.g.

- simplex - all pages add binding margin to left side.
- duplex
i) add binding margin to left on odd pages
ii) add binding margin to right on even pages?

Thanks for your patience. I'm still very much a beginner with preflight but I'm starting to try and get more to grips with it.

I would normally do this using the trim and shift functions of the Quite Imposing plugin, it allows you to treat odd and even pages differently and setup presets to automate

I would normally do this using the trim and shift functions of the Quite Imposing plugin, it allows you to treat odd and even pages differently and setup presets to automate
Thanks. I'll take a look at that

Quite Imposing is very powerful and I use it daily.. Mine is an older version, so it possible this has changed. If you are shifting a mix of single sided and double sided, you will need a blank page after the single sided pages. I don't think you can tag a page as single sided otherwise.

Reactions: bcr
Pitstop might be an option as well, depending on budget. You can write scripts to alter the bleed size, add non-printing FPO graphics for spiral binding, change page sizes, etc. It's pretty powerful.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 2.58.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 2.58.27 PM.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: bcr

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back