How to assure consistent color when exporting to PDF?

Raven

Mac OSX10.6.8 InDesign CS6.

I've created a design for a flowing graphic "wave" across an office window 20 ft wide. The only colour is Pantone #301 (blue), and there are gradients from 10% to 80%.
The PC sign supplier wants a high res PDF to print on a flexible vinyl material. When I export to PDF, the colors change on my screen and go from blue to a grayish-blue tone.

1) If I don't do anything, but send the PDF, will the final output be close to what I see on my screen, or what the InDesign color palette specifies?

2) When I export to PDF, I see several options. I've tried several variations, and it does not bring the image closer to Pantone #301. What else can I do to assure I get the Pantone color?...

Here is the process and options:
- Pantone #301 is only color specified in InDesign.
- EXPORT to PDF.
- QUALITY - Press
- COMPATIBILITY - options from PDF 1.4 to 1.7. Which is the best to use?
- OUTPUT - COLOR -
Conversion to Destination... or Not?
Destination - many, many choices! Which one to use?
Profile Inclusion? Not sure what that does.
Ink Manager - It gives an option for "Spot to Process". Should I chose that?

Any help you can provide will be tremendous! We can't have the wrong color output in their window!

You'll get the best advice from your sign supplier.

Is the sign being printed using actual PMS color, or is it using a CMYK simulation?

Mac OSX10.6.8 InDesign CS6.

I've created a design for a flowing graphic "wave" across an office window 20 ft wide. The only colour is Pantone #301 (blue), and there are gradients from 10% to 80%.
The PC sign supplier wants a high res PDF to print on a flexible vinyl material. When I export to PDF, the colors change on my screen and go from blue to a grayish-blue tone.

1) If I don't do anything, but send the PDF, will the final output be close to what I see on my screen, or what the InDesign color palette specifies?

What process is the sign printer using to print the sign?

If you're printing the sign in one spot color, e.g. as would be the case in screen printing then the color that you see on your screen is irrelevant. You could do the graphic in black and white if you want. What's relevant is the ink color that the sign printer will be using.

If the sign printer is using an inkjet printer then the spot color will be simulated using process colors (at least 4 - CMY and K). If that's the case then get the PDF settings from the sign printer and ask them to create a proof on the vinyl material - it doesn't have to be a full size proof since your concern is for the color - so the printer could do, for example, an 11x14" print-out of the sign to show you how the color matches up with PMS 301 and how the screen tints look. E.g. do they maintain their color integrity or do you see color banding.[/QUOTE]

gordo

Don't use press quality. Use "High Quality". Leave the spot color alone since the sign printer may have a conversion table specific for their process. Stick with PDF 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 or 1.7 (it really doesn't matter ;) )

If you start converting colors to cmyk then you may be cutting yourself off at the knees. In my experience with large format and "alternate substrates" is that vendors have their own ICC profiles for their devices and color need to NOT be managed until the vendor manages them.

A quick look at my Pantone guide - 301 is not achievable in cmyk, a strong reason to leave the color defined as spot. The sign manufacturer can adjust their spot definition or use the devices spot tables.

If you have an iPad, our digital pub, Out of Chaos, can be downloaded from the App Store. There's an article that goes through all of the PDF export settings for InDesign - what they mean and what they do.

long link, but you can try these output settings for Indesign from GWG. V4 ones are the latest (obviously).

Application Settings - Ghent Workgroup

Obviously, you should discuss this with your printer.

At Adobe, we would most strongly recommend that you use the PDF/X-4-2008 PDF export settings. These settings keep your content at the highest level of abstraction, maintaining live transparency and full color management. Furthermore we recommend that you access the InDesign Ink Manager and make sure that the All Spots to Process option is not checked and that the Use Standard Lab Values for Spots is checked. This will assure that your print service provider has the most freedom to properly print your work, taking advantage of whatever colorants are available for the output device to accommodate the color gamut of your work.

- Dov

You never mentioned the printing process? I'm curious if it is being printed 4cp, the print shop should show you the difference between Pantone 301 and Pantone 301P with a Pantone Color Bridge book. Or at *least* warn you it's not going to match 301.

Rich Apollo,
Can't find that app, Out of Chaos, you referred to in the App Store. What is the name exactly? Will it work on my iPhone 4s?

Thanks!

Like others have said. Please, please contact your printer and ask them for their export settings and if this will be 4/C or spot? If they don't have any, I can give you what we give to our customers for exporting

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back