How to Learn Printing?

Hi all, I am very much interested in printing but unfortunately I couldn't locate some easy and basic documents. Could someone please help me by providing link(s) to easy-to-understand tutorials?

Thanks!

Start by reading "twelve steps and twelve traditions". This is the Alcoholics Anonymous bible. Trust me, you'll need it.

Start by reading "twelve steps and twelve traditions". This is the Alcoholics Anonymous bible. Trust me, you'll need it.

The longer I work in this industry the truer that becomes.

All kidding aside, I don't know about any websites, but if you can get your hands on the Heidelberg Handbook of Print Media, that's probably a good place to start. The one I have is a bit outdated (from 2001 I think), but it's still got a lot of useful information. Try checking out google, you may be able to find a pdf of it, though I personally prefer physical books any day.

The term "printing" encompasses any number of different processes, purposes and an enormous variety of skills. What do you want to learn how to print? Paper, fabric, signs, billboards, beverage coasters, fine art prints, magazines, mouse pads, automotive sales financial disclosures, novelty piggy banks...

There is no way to learn "everything" about all printing and there's no easy way to learn "most stuff" about any one particular process.

If you are more specific about what your goals are, we can probably point you in some directions. Cheers!

There used to be a book called the Pocket Pal. Doubt if it is still made but you can probably download it for a KINDLE

I changed many positions. When I found my first job with Heidelberg, somebody told me you will never leave this industry. I have been in Industry for 17 years now. Every day is fun. I love it!

This is very easy to learn how to printing. Just read blogs, articles regarding to printing. Visit any publication company. From there you will get practical knowledge.

Maynardsayswhat makes a good point. The industry is just too diverse to point you in the right direction. What is it about print that tickles your fancy?

This is easy, don't lol

have you ever visited/toured an actual print facility? Most places will give you a tour, just seeing the workflow and machines you can learn a bit without knowing the trade at all.

I would definitely start with printing terms, you need to speak the lingo first.

Love it!! A friend of mine used to joke that we have "ink in the blood". once it gets in there, you're hooked for life.

as has been said a couple times, the print industry, whatever branch you look at, is not for the faint of heart. it is a fast paced industry prone to huge amounts of barely organized chaos, with HUGE feast to famine swings. We're generally underpaid, over worked, and slightly wacked in the head.

on that note, almost anyone who's got ink in their blood will tell you that they couldn't imagine working at anything else. either it's in you blood and you're a lifer, or you don't last long.

If you're still interested, tour a local print shop, lurk on a few forums, and check it out. it's an understaffed industry when it comes to skilled workers, so we'd be glad to have you!

Good luck!

We used to say "wherever there are four printers, there's always a fifth".

To help answer your question.

What kind of "printing" were you wanting to look at? For commercial offset printing the correct term would be lithography, or the modern version would probably be "offset lithography", this is the most common type.

But there are numerous kinds of printing technologies, such as screen (silk screening), flexography, digital printing.

Just touch the Plates, smell the ink, Clean the Blanket, smell the Papers and clean the Processor, you will fall in love with the Print/ Graphic Industry forever.;)

Reactions: hta
Start off as others commented to come up with just what are you looking to print as you will find many different pieces of equipment that would be needed for the different products.

Once you narrow down what you are wanting to do you can ask or read up on that specific type of printer.

And be a humble person.

Never walk in to a print shop with the attitude - "I read about this so..."
Take time to learn from press operators or prepress techs who have learned how to do the job according to the book and a little creatively (its amazing how duct tape, scrap plates and cardboard can help you improve production).

And i'll throw my hat in with everyone else - printing demands passion. You will either love it or loathe it, but you'll never forget it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back