How to manage fonts?

Kido

Hello

What's the best way to manage fonts on Mac OSX 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6?

Is it better to use Font Applications like Suitcase or Linotype FontExplorer?
Or should they rather be installed on the system?

Thx in advance!

Im a suitcase fan! I have used Suitcase and Suitcase server. Just remember, if you are loading fonts onto your mac put them in the users folder library not the systems library folder.

I have been using FontExplorer X Pro from Linotype for sometime (since the free version in fact!) and have really grown to appreciate it. I have encountered numerous issues with suitcase on my production machine and just keeps making me mad. I'm in the process of convincing my supervisor to make the switch from suitcase to FontExplorer X Pro. FontExplorer X Pro has many reviews one of which from MacWorld.

Cheers.
steve.weiss

I used to b a die hard Suitcase fan, until Quark 6, 7, and finally the death knell, 8.
I use Lino's FEX and it works great. I got it when it was free and haven't looked back.
I believe there is a small fee now, but most will say it really worth it.

cheers!

FontExplorer X all the way!
If you're taking on jobs from outside clients, you definitely do not want to install them on your machine. There are multiple versions of fonts out there, and even though they may have the same name, there are subtle differences that can screw everything up in your customer's file if you use the wrong one. By using font management software, you can activate the exact fonts you need, then deactivate them once the job is done.
Also, the more fonts you load directly on your machine, the more prone you are to start having software issues. 9/10 times (completely made up number, but probably more accurate than you think) if you start having crashes and other weird things happening with your programs, it's font related. Bad or corrupt fonts can cause all kinds of trouble, so best to keep a minimal set running for your OS, and let your font management do the rest.

Another vote here for Lino's FontXplorer here. It's simple and intuitive to use, more importantly, it's very stable. That said, co-workers are using Suitcase Fusion 2 and have been happy with it as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either product.

I just copy font folders into my User Fonts folder. I don't know if that's the best way (maybe not the easiest to manage for sure), but it works nicely for me, and have no extra programs to install. I just have one folder in my fonts folder for my fonts that I use in design or layout, and other fonts from clients are copied to the root. If I need to clean it out is easy... just move them all out.

I just copy font folders into my User Fonts folder. I don't know if that's the best way (maybe not the easiest to manage for sure), but it works nicely for me, and have no extra programs to install. I just have one folder in my fonts folder for my fonts that I use in design or layout, and other fonts from clients are copied to the root. If I need to clean it out is easy... just move them all out.

That's a good way to do it, but not necessarily a safe way. It involves additional steps (manually moving fonts in and out of the folder) and could also give you font conflicts that you are not aware of.
Using a font management tool allows you to get a visual on what fonts are loaded and what fonts have conflicts (if any).You will also have the ability to manage your system fonts without removing them and causing additional problems.

Indeed. And I have had a system fonts scare once, but luckily was backed up. FontBook will tell you, however, about duplicate fonts by putting a dot next to the font's name.

I use Font Agent Pro 4. We used to use Suitcase, but like many, I grew frustrated with it and switched. I had not heard of Lino's FontXplorer, will have to give that a look.

I used to use Font Agent Pro as well, until I found Linotype. I have several paid licenses for FAP that are being unused because Linotype was so much better.

I like Suitcase now known as Fusion. The latest Fusion 2 was built off of the Universal type server 2. That in itself was built new from the ground up. It stable, it manageable. and pretty straight forward to use.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back