how's business

March was incredibly profitable. April was not as good but completely acceptable. We barely broke even in June. July seems like it's going to be a decent month, but way too early to tell.

Take a look at the latest issue of QUICKPRINTING. Most of the top 100 are reporting gross sales in negative territory off the previous year in the range of 30% to 40%. Never in the history if this industry nor at least in my 50 year lifetime have I ever seen the likes of this.

The Internet has created customers who want us to print something for nothing, match the price of some online hack, but to turn it around by tomorrow or the next day. The advent of affordable laser and ink-jet desktop printers has also eaten away at the small format market.

I really do have a sinking feeling about this industry. We have diversified our services into wide format ink-jet, signs, banners, screen printing, embroidery and we are managing to hang on, but for how long?

Last edited:
We have diversified our services into wide format ink-jet, signs, banners, screen printing, embroidery and we are managing to hang on, but for how long?

Just as long as you're willing to keep changing your company as the market evolves. When you stop following the market (I'm talking real trends here, not the flavor of the day) then you will eventually wither and die.

Mark H

March was incredibly profitable. April was not as good but completely acceptable. We barely broke even in June. July seems like it's going to be a decent month, but way too early to tell.

Take a look at the latest issue of QUICKPRINTING. Most of the top 100 are reporting gross sales in negative territory off the previous year in the range of 30% to 40%. Never in the history if this industry nor at least in my 50 year lifetime have I ever seen the likes of this.

The Internet has created customers who want us to print something for nothing, match the price of some online hack, but to turn it around by tomorrow or the next day. The advent of affordable laser and ink-jet desktop printers has also eaten away at the small format market.

I really do have a sinking feeling about this industry. We have diversified our services into wide format ink-jet, signs, banners, screen printing, embroidery and we are managing to hang on, but for how long?

I am well past a sinking feeling about the market at this point. I had initially thought during the first part of this year I had a plan that would help me stabilize what I do for the industry. I am doing things much smarter than I have in the past and I have streamlined the best I could with the revenue I generate. But the reality is I have lost too many customers and there just are not ones to replace them and people are not starting up shops (in my area atleast anyway) so there is no new business to obtain. If I could back up from starting this venture almost 3 years ago I would have taken the money that was available to me and tried some different things. I definitely believe the internet print sales is slowly killing printing. It is all sold on price. If you are set up to gangrun, have storefronts, and capital to follow change this to me is where the market is at. I watch a couple of the printers I do work for try and get into this market and I just cringe. I just do not see enough room in this market for everyone at this point. Including myself........

Just going over some figures comparing this year to last.

Revenue up 28% over last year
Profits went from a five figure loss to a five figure profit (exactly the same amount of thousands turnaround)
New wide format venture accounts for 6% of revenue
New digital offering accounts for 19% of revenue
A full 25% of our revenue after only 3 months of being in the business.

Since both wide format and digital are new sources of revenue this means that offset revenue has grown by 3%.

Cash on hand has increased by 30%.

Wow, I'm feeling good. I was waiting until I had my first quarter in before I compared and I must say that I'm thrilled with the improvement. I have been targeting 20% growth this year and I'm ahead of that. And I can't be disappointed with a $30000 profit versus a $30000 loss last year.

Good for me. Good for all of us. Long live print.....or at least another year until I can make a deal to sell..........

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back