HP 5500- for signage or not for singage

We currently have dye cartridges in this machine but thinking of switching over to UV. On occasion we get some small run signs that would be nice to put over there. Has anybody had any luck with HP UV inks holding up good to sunlight? This is my secondary proofer & I am willing to switch it over to get more work out of the machine. I've been told that specalty stuff will be limited & I shouldn't bother. I am just beginning to research what we can get away with on this machine: window cling, Poly crack & peel,etc. It seems like a waist to do some of these things out in the pressroom with this 5500 sitting. I realize that a solvent or a latex is better, but all I have is this & an epson 7800 availibe at this time. Any input would be great.
Thanks
Pat

I can't speak to the HP 5500 specifically, but lets say you did want to print some outdoor signs, are you printing on paper, then mounting the paper on some backing? If so, if you were to couple the UV ink with a UV laminate or coating then I think the print would probably outlast the sign construction. This is coming from someone that makes a heck of a lot of golf signs.

For permanent outdoor signs in my opinion you must print directly onto your substrate, or the sign construction won't last long enough to really dub it permanent outdoor.

I have a 5500 with UV inks, although i rarely use it anymore i have printed a few outdoor signs on it.
The only way it will be weather "resistant", notice i say resistant...(well mildly resistant) is to use a matte vinyl.
Or some other matte coated AQ paper that is rated for outdoor use. It should last at least a few months depending on many factors.
I remember printing a sign on Matte vinyl and to prove a point i took a shower with it. The ink did not bleed and the sign was fine. We installed it the next day....kidding!! We printed another.

The 5500 is no UV or Solvent printer but its adequate for some jobs. Lamination would be the only way to guarantee longevity.
The big difference in the UV inks is they are a bit coarser (grainier) and the gamut is smaller then Dye.
Also the print heads tend to clog more often if you don't use it often.

If you do plan to convert, you will need the HP UV conversion kit which is expensive IIRC, Full set of UV print heads and a full set of UV inks.
The UV inks cant be placed into your current printer. The conversion kit has a new set of lines, print head carriage and a new ink tank receptacle.
I think that covers it but if you have any questions, please let me know. I should have some more info squirreled away in my head...somewhere!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back