HP Designjet 130 VS HP Designjet T120

arcom

Hi all, I'd like to have your advice before I buy one of those printers.
I have done some research, and in my experience never had problems with HP, but I've read a lot of bad experiences for the designjet 130, an just a couple of bad ones for the t120.
In this case the decision will be based on Price for the Ink, accuracy, and velocity. I will be printing digital art, as well as architectural drawings, if possible I want to use the printer for any regular letter printings (no more than 30 or 40 sheets a month)
Will the 130 be more expensive due to the 6 cartridges? 12 with the heads?
The color will be better compared to the 4 cartridges of the t120?

Can somebody help me please? The prices are really good at this time for both printers.

Thank you very very much, I really appreciate any advice regarding this matter.

HP Designjet 130 VS HP Designjet T120

Hi there,
We know you are asking for advice from other users, but just wanted to let you know that you can also get advice from an HP Designjet sales representative on which printer would be best for your specific print needs, either by:

Calling HP at 1-888-772-9897
or
Via:https://h30406.www3.hp.com/campaigns/2010/ga/DesignjetWeb/us/en/index.php

We hope this could be of some help to you!

Hi all, I'd like to have your advice before I buy one of those printers.
I have done some research, and in my experience never had problems with HP, but I've read a lot of bad experiences for the designjet 130, an just a couple of bad ones for the t120.
In this case the decision will be based on Price for the Ink, accuracy, and velocity. I will be printing digital art, as well as architectural drawings, if possible I want to use the printer for any regular letter printings (no more than 30 or 40 sheets a month)
Will the 130 be more expensive due to the 6 cartridges? 12 with the heads?
The color will be better compared to the 4 cartridges of the t120?

Can somebody help me please? The prices are really good at this time for both printers.

Thank you very very much, I really appreciate any advice regarding this matter.

Well, HP Designjet 130 and T120 both have good overview and features. I have tried using 130 before and I encounter problems but not that critical. It doesn't mean that it is an awful equipment. I haven't tried T120 yet so I can't tell if it is good or not.:rolleyes:

HP 130 was the first "desktop" wide format printer on the market. It had several problems that don't seem to have been fixed in later versions of it. The most significant is paper feed. Unless you purchase the NR model at a hugely higher price, you can't use rolls of media unless you are handy with carpentry and can make up a roll holder (as I did). This accepts roll media but the only time you have a problem will be when you roll back the media. Its not easy spinning a roll of canvas fast enough to keep tension on it!

The sheet feeder for some reason hardly ever picks up the last sheet in the tray. and if you don't use it for a week or so and the seasons change (Summer comes) you'll find nice little drops of ink all over the picture you printed. Usually at the very end of the page! The biggest problem I had was the ink is always in a constant state of readiness to return to its liquid stage. Other Dye in printers (Epson for one) resist ink dissolving but not this beauty. I've had three of them. They are extremely economical on ink, cheap to buy. As you unpack it you'll see why. They are primarily plastic. Everything is plastic. BUT... If you want a 600mm (24") colour photo printer, (they are useless at black and white photos) you won't find one cheaper than this. Be sure to coat the prints with one of the paper maker's photo cote products and you'll get very nice colour photos from it. Forget forever any notion you may have of printing on canvas with a DJ130 unless you have access to a spray paint booth to coat it with lacquer bec ause anything else will give you a green print inside of a few weeks. My suggestion? Either a Canon or Epson pigment printer. If you're in Australia I can point you to a 24" canon for under $1000 and they work OK with after market inks.

AJ

can i use the HP Designjet T790 ePrinter series and the Designjet T520 36 in e printer for design jobs that include a lot of text?

I haven't any in depth knowledge of these printers but I know HP printers in general are almost always more economical with ink than any other brand. I suspect this is because of their unique print head system and don't need to flush the heads every time you start a job.

"HP printers in general are almost always more economical with ink than any other brand" that is true! This is the reason why most people who are into printing business opt to use HP printers.

Canon printers have always satisfied me more than the others operational in the market. Hp had several problems that they confirmed to have been fixed in later versions of it. The most significant is paper feed but with the Hp Designjet T120, these have been solved. They have shown improvements of late.

Replying to an Old Post... Hopefully, info below will help others in selecting a wide format printer.

The HP T120 is more of a office/production machine and will do everything you need. It's geared more toward architectural drawings (lineart) than photos. Looking at the specs it appears that it only utilizes 4 inks (Cyan Magenta Yellow Black). I have a T790PS (Postscript) and in addition to the standard CMYK Inks it also has Matte Black and Gray, which allows the printers to hit a wider color gamut, thus, making your photos more vibrant. One thing people often overlook is media choice. Media selection plays a big role in the quality of your prints.

Reading the specification sheet for the T120, it doesn't appear to be a postscript printer which means that it won't provide as good of quality as a postscript printer. Just an FYI, a HP Postscript printer will add a pretty hefty premium over the non-postscript printer version.

Concerning reviews: most stuff you read online will tend to be negative because people are more likely to go online and leave a negative review than positive reviews. I've run a number of different HP wide formats and have never had a problem. For the price of the unit and consumables HP does a pretty good job. A good place to read reviews is B&H Photo and Video. The users tend to be more experienced in photography and printing than other sites and thus will provide you with more accurate reviews.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back